The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

A couple of things before I buy ClearContext...

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

A couple of things before I buy ClearContext...

Postby rocket96 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:34 pm

Hi there,

I've been trying out the RC release of ClearContext v2, and I really like it except for the following issues:

1. Outlook gives me a warning saying that an unauthorized application is trying to access the address book every time i try to create a new message (I use word as my editor). This did not happen with beta v2.

2. ClearContext always forces Outlook to download full message bodies, even though when I'm at home I have my cached outlook settings to download headers only. I've noticed that when ClearContext is running, it even causes Outlook to download message bodies for non-Inbox folders - this is unacceptable to me because of the huge amount of email in my other folders, and my relatively slow connection.

3. There appears to be performance issues - when I move around messages, I notice that the Outlook UI freezes more often. I've done some testing and verified that if the ClearContext add-on is not enabled, Outlook functions more crisply as expected; but when ClearContext is on, the UI tends to lock up for seconds at a time (whether i'm browsing through my Inbox, trying to create a new email, etc).

I'm running Windows XP pro with Outlook 2003. I have a lot of rules (server side) to manage my email; I don't have any other add-ins installed. My email is an exchange server email.

If you can help me with some of these issues (maybe my setup is wrong) or want some clarification, please let me know! If I can get a solution to these (especially #2; issue #1 seems like a bug, and issue #3 while important, I understand may be difficult) I will definitely be wanting to get ClearContext.
rocket96

Postby brad » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:14 pm

Thanks for taking the time to post. To address your particular points:

#1 - This is a known issue in RC1 and described on the beta page and in our beta forum. It will be resolved in the next release.

#2 - As part of the prioritization process, ClearContext looks at the body of a message. I assume that this is forcing the download you are seeing. There is no way around this. As you use the software day to day, there's no reason why ClearContext should cause messages in other folders to download. However I suspect that during setup our analysis process forced the downloads you speak of.

#3 - There is additional network communication required for ClearContext to process messages. Given your slow connection, I suspect this is the source of the slow down issue. We are constantly looking at ways to optimize our server communications, but in the near term there's not much we can do to alleviate the problem.

Thanks again for your questions. I hope this helps explain what's going on.
Brad Meador
brad

RC2 Available

Postby brad » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:06 pm

#1 is resolved in RC2: http://www.clearcontext.com/beta/
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support