The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

ADVPACK.dll error when installing

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

ADVPACK.dll error when installing

Postby mattarse » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:33 am

Hello,

I am using Xp and Outlook 2003 connected to exchange and am recieving an error referencing this file when I install.

My user account does not typically have admin privileges, however I assigned myself to the admin group for the install. However when I run the installation using run as and the admin account I do not recieve the error, but the Clear context tool is not in Outlook under my normal account (outlook has never been activated under the admin account itself).

the error message states "error creating process d:\..... Reason c:\:windows\system32\advpack.dll"

I tried going to Help > About Outlook > Disabled items, but it is not listed there either.

Thanks for any assistance,

Matt
mattarse

Re: ADVPACK.dll error when installing

Postby mattarse » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:33 am

As an update, if I log into the administrator account then I am able to use Clear Context, it shows in Add/Remove programs and in Outlook. Unfortunately I do not have Outlook set up to recieve mail under that account.

Is there a way to force the install to be for all user accounts on the computer?

Matthew
mattarse

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:43 pm

Matt:

We're looking into this and the UAC problem mentioned in another thread, as they both appear to be related issues. We'll update these threads as soon as we have more info.
Scott - CC Support

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:43 pm

Matt:

1. Log in as Administrator and uninstall ClearContext.
2. Log in as the account that you run email under.
3. Install ClearContext. Do NOT select "Run As Administrator"

Do you still receive the error? Are you able to run the program?

Thanks.
ClearContext Support

Postby mattarse » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:45 am

I had tried running the program as you suggested, but the security under my normal account will not allow it.

I have however now installed the program, I did this by first extracting the exe with winzip then launching the setup program from within the extracted folder.

I did have admin rights assigned when I did this.

I work in tech support myself, so if you want some additional tests done for your records feel free to contact me offline at the email address in my account.

Cheers,
Matthew
mattarse

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:59 am

Thanks for the update.
ClearContext Support

Postby emkayess1964 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:11 am

Has any progress been made in resolving this error?

I am a long time ClearContext user, and I recently upgraded from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007. I reinstalled ClearContext 4.0 after the upgrade, and all was well. I recently tried to install the 4.5 upgrade, and immediately got this error message:

Error creating process <C:\Docum...........\setup.exe>. Reason C:|WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll

I'm afraid to uninstall 4.0 and still get this error - I would be lost without CC! So has anything been learned about what causes this error, and how to avoid it during an upgrade/install?
emkayess1964

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:32 am

Try this:

Sometimes the installer cannot write into your user's %TEMP% directory.

So, what you need to do is to create, for example, a temp directory "C:\Temp\" on your C drive and then change the value of the %TEMP% environment variable to this directory path. After that you can run the installer and everything should be fine. At least it was for me.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support