The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Autoassign Not Working (V5)

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Autoassign Not Working (V5)

Postby JohnG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:11 am

I have had this problem before but now it is back with a vengeance with V5. Items are coming into my mailbox that should match perfectly with existing Autoassign rules. Yet CC is ignoring them - nothing is being set. I have even tried going to the rule and saying "Apply to inbox" and it does not.

I looked at the obvious culprit but I did put in my registration. I have tried deleting rules and re-adding - sometimes it works, sometimes not. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling. Still no good. I have also run a repair on my PST file.

I remembered hearing something about the Outlook rule on incoming messages but have forgotten whether to set on or off but have tried it both ways. At this point I don't want to do a bunch of testing on this. I simply want to COMPLETELY remove v5 and start over - including deleting all the rules that come back even if I uninstall the product and delete the CLEARCONTEXT folder in the user settings.

I know you used to have a tool to do this but it does not seem to work properly with V5. Could you provide me with one for V5? I simply want to start over clean.

Thanks.

JohnG
JohnG

Re: Autoassign Not Working (V5)

Postby JohnG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:14 am

Of course after I posted I found the tool. Please do not research or reply until I remove.

Thanks.

JohnG
JohnG

Postby JohnG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:50 am

I am lost here. I ran the Removal Tool for CC 5.02. I did everything as stated EXCEPT I did not put back the registration entries (previous autoassign rules) and database. I am assuming this is correct as I wanted to start CC5 over fresh. However, CC still seems to be problematic.

CC5 correctly shows no existing autoassign rules after the new install. and after adding my registration key. However, when I go to add a rule for an item that had had a rule before the complete uninstall, it still does not update the item in the Inbox. I need to trick CC by changing the rule to another Topic and then changing it back to the one I had previous to the uninstall. Each time it correctly updates the item in the Inbox.

Obviously I do not know CC5's inner workings but it would seem that there is still some remnant of earlier usage even after the complete removal. What am I missing here or doing wrong?

JohnG
JohnG

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:57 am

Open your rule, ensure that "Overwrite existing Project" is checked, and apply it to the Inbox. Works? If not, go to ClearContext > About > Email Support and send screen prints of the rule and the message you expect it to apply to. Thanks.
ClearContext Support

Postby JohnG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:03 pm

I have always had "Overwrite existing project" on. I also have the Outlook rule "Clear categories on mail" unchecked as I was told in the past that the Outlook rule might fire after yours and clear out your data.

What is throwing me is that I need to set the Topic (Project, whatever) to one other than the one I want for folks that used to have a rule in my previous install to get CC to do anything. Once I do this, I can then reset it to the correct one and it takes.

There is nothing at this point to send as I followed the fix above to get things to work. I will see if tomorrow brings any new items or if the autoassigns fail on new items received.

Can you think of any reason why I would need to do the above if I did the following:
1. Uninstall CC5.02
2. Ran Removal Tool for 5.02
3. Omitted steps to add back database and autoassigns
4. Ran install of CC5.02 and put in registration code on first run
5. Closed Outlook, rebooted and ran Outlook again
6. Verified there were no autoassigns
7. Added autoassigns for Inbox items and had the problem mentioned

Does CC5.02 still pick up other info from the PST file regarding autoassigns after the above steps? It seems to recognize the previous topics for these items somehow.

JohnG
JohnG

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:06 pm

Does CC5.02 still pick up other info from the PST file regarding autoassigns after the above steps? It seems to recognize the previous topics for these items somehow.

It sounds like your issue is with conversation thread-based project assignment rather than AutoAssign. ClearContext maintains a hidden table that equates project assignments to conversations (i.e. messages with subject "Hello" are assigned project "Personal"). Regardless of whether you have AutoAssign rules set up, ClearContext is going to assign a Project to email in conversation threads that have a previous history/project assignment. The uninstall process you went through does not reset this hidden table.

Still, the behavior you describe doesn't make sense to me either, so I would appreciate it if you would send us screen prints showing the issue the next time it happens. Thanks.
ClearContext Support

Postby JohnG » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:53 am

I think you are missing my point. When I set up the new autoassign, it is not assigning to the WRONG project, it is not assigning it to ANY project. I am also assuming that any hidden table - unless it is in the PST file somehow - was deleted in the complete removal.

Here is the scenario:

1. Before upgrading to 5.02 I had a number of autoassign rules. All worked on Inbox items as they came in.
2. I upgraded to 5.02 and these rules did not work.
3. I tried everything I could think of to fix this but finally gave up.
4. I used your removal tool for 5.02 to blow out everything. I omitted the steps to add back registration entries and the database so as to start completely fresh.
5. I rebooted and when Outlook opened and went through the first install screens. I then put in my registration key.
6. I checked to make sure there were no autoassigns present and that the outlook rule to delete categories on incoming was off. My understanding is that if this is on it can interfere with your operation.
7. I went to set up an autoassign rule for an Inbox item. I NOTICED THAT THE TOPIC BOX ALREADY HAD THE RIGHT ONE.
8. I completed the autoassign by checking both the box to overwrite and the one to do the Inbox. Nothing was done by CC.
9. I went back and changed the existing assignment to another topic and checked the box to do it to the Inbox. (The box to overwrite had remained checked.) IT WORKED with the new topic.
10. I went back and changed the existing rule to the right topic and checked to do it to the Inbox. IT WORKED WITH THE CORRECT TOPIC.

There is a definite pattern here:
1. If I set up an autoassign and the topic is preselected by CC, I have to do the fix above, i.e. set it to a new (wrong) topic and then set it back to the old (correct) one.
2. If I set up an autoassign and there is no topic preselected by CC, everything weorks fine first time around.

Obviously CC is somehow determining a topic for the items that had one in my previous install. How or where it is getting it is a mystery to me since I was told that the removal tool removed everything. However, CC does not work properly when the topic is preselected - i.e. it does nothing with the autoassign.

Maybe you can understand what is happening with the (hopefully better) explanation above. I could send screenshots next time but, being static, they would simply show the rule and the untouched item.

JohnG
JohnG

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:20 am

Thanks for the additional detail John. I now see the behavior you describe. It appears that there's a problem with the overwrite existing project flag in v5. We're taking a look into the issue.
ClearContext Support

Postby JohnG » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:56 am

Is there any ETA on a fix for this? Even the cludge I am using (assigning wrong topic/assigning right one) does not seem to be 100% effective. New items where I thought I had corrected the rule earlier are sometimes coming in without a topic again. I also have a rule that has the important flag set but all incoming mail is showing up without CC-VIP set. I have tried removing and resetting the flag but it does not work. (I also noticed that when I remove the flag from the rule, it still shows important in the list for the rules.)

I guess I'm not a typical user in using Autoassign for known emails but I tend to get a lot of email from places rather than people. Thus Autoassign is very important to me. As of right now, it is unreliable.

JohnG
JohnG

Postby DavidG » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm having precisely the same issue as JohnG (JohnG-Thank you for taking the time to explain this issue in all of its gory detail.) Like JohnG, I receive emails from many different sources and have more than 1,000 rules set up, so their sudden loss of function completely cripples me. Therefore, an ETA on a fix is critical, otherwise I'll have no choice but to request a refund and roll back to 4.6.
DavidG

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:20 pm

This will be fixed in the next point release. I don't have an ETD at this time.

A little background - the v5.0.2 release is ignoring the overwrite existing Project flag. New messages from new conversations are processed as expected, but any message that is part of an existing conversation that already has a Project assigned is not. It is unfortunate that this issue was not uncovered during the beta and QA process for v5, but I suspect that most leave that flag off by default. We will address in the next point release, though I don't have an estimate for delivery at this time. We will update this thread when a fix is available.
Scott - CC Support

Postby JohnG » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:28 pm

I think the problem is more severe than you think. You say that this error only occurs on messages that are part of an existing conversation and that new messages for new conversations are processed as expected.

I don't know how you define "conversation". Here is an example: I am getting regular emails from an internet store. Are you saying that because I received emails on an earlier date, they are part of a "conversation" even if I do not reply to them? I ask because Autoassign is not working for these items.

Also there is a separate related(?) problem: if I change an Autoassign rule to say it is no longer Important, nothing is done to items in the Inbox even though I say to do so.

Hopefully your next point release will come soon. I, like DavidG, use Autoassigns on every known source other than ones set automatically by contact. I expect nearly every message that comes in to be assigned either by contact or rule. Virtually none of them are. This is a BIG annoyance.

JohnG
JohnG

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:54 pm

I don't know how you define "conversation". Here is an example: I am getting regular emails from an internet store. Are you saying that because I received emails on an earlier date, they are part of a "conversation" even if I do not reply to them? I ask because Autoassign is not working for these items.

If all messages from that store come in with the same subject, then this is the behavior I expect. The next time you receive one of these messages, file it, go to the folder you filed it it and unassign the project via ClearContext > Message Actions. I expect the next time you receive a message of this type it will be filed as expected?

Also there is a separate related(?) problem: if I change an Autoassign rule to say it is no longer Important, nothing is done to items in the Inbox even though I say to do so.

AutoAssign rules can me used to mark messages important, but cannot be used to unmark messages.

Hopefully your next point release will come soon. I, like DavidG, use Autoassigns on every known source other than ones set automatically by contact. I expect nearly every message that comes in to be assigned either by contact or rule. Virtually none of them are. This is a BIG annoyance.

Thanks again for the feedback. We realize this is an important issue to you and will update here when we have more detail.
Scott - CC Support

Postby JohnG » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:24 am

To your points:

1. The emails DO NOT come in with the same subject - they are merely from the same source. They are not part of conversations as I have no need to reply to them. In fact, in many cases they are simply deleted at some point. However, the next message from the source (with a different subject) will be unassigned.

2. As far as the issue regarding "Important", I think you misunderstood my explanation. I start off with an Autoassign that has "Important" checked off. I receive an email and the Autoassign marks it important. I then realize it really should not be "Important" while it is still in the Inbox. I change the rule by unchecking "Important" and apply it to the Inbox. This has no effect although I would think it should be unmarked. I would think that, if you have a box that can be checked and unchecked, you should be coding for both.

Hope you don't mind all the replies but I am seeing more of a problem than what you are. I'd hate to get the next release and find my problems are still alive and well.

JohnG
JohnG

Postby Scott - CC Support » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:05 am

1. The emails DO NOT come in with the same subject - they are merely from the same source. They are not part of conversations as I have no need to reply to them. In fact, in many cases they are simply deleted at some point. However, the next message from the source (with a different subject) will be unassigned.

Please go to ClearContext > About > Email Support and send me a screen print showing the AutoAssign rule and the message impacted. Thanks.

2. As far as the issue regarding "Important", I think you misunderstood my explanation. I start off with an Autoassign that has "Important" checked off. I receive an email and the Autoassign marks it important. I then realize it really should not be "Important" while it is still in the Inbox. I change the rule by unchecking "Important" and apply it to the Inbox. This has no effect although I would think it should be unmarked. I would think that, if you have a box that can be checked and unchecked, you should be coding for both.

This is not how the product has been designed. When you check "Mark Important" you are saying "mark messages that meet this criteria important." When you uncheck Mark Important you are saying " don't mark the priority of messages that meet this critieria." For the product to behave as you expect, we need to introduce some other element to the rule such as a checkbox that says "Unmark Important."

Hope you don't mind all the replies but I am seeing more of a problem than what you are. I'd hate to get the next release and find my problems are still alive and well.

Thanks for the feedback.
Scott - CC Support

Next

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support