The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Automatically file messages by Topic?

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Automatically file messages by Topic?

Postby nate » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:44 am

I'm not sure if I'm not correctly using/configuring ClearContext or if I misunderstand the functionality, but ClearContext is not automatically filing new messages even when it does automatically assign them to a Topic. I have to hit the 'File Msg' or 'File Topic' button, but I thought the whole point was for my Inbox to be automatically cleared out?

AutoAssign (by sender, by subject, etc.) does automatically file messages, although it seems that in some situations it "misses" messages and I have to instruct ClearContext to 'Apply Rules To Inbox' to catch what it's missed.
nate

Postby brad » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:02 pm

Nate -

ClearContext automatically assigns topics to incoming messages. The product does not automatically file messages to Topic folders unless you set up AutoAssign rules to do so.

It sounds like you need to edit your AutoAssign rules so that the feature to "Override existing Topics" is enabled. When a message comes in, ClearContext determines whether it is part of an existing thread and assigns a topic if one exists. AutoAssign rules are then applied to a message. If a message already has a topic assigned to it, the AutoAssign rule will not be applied. If you create your rules with 'Override existing Topics" checked, AutoAssign will ignore previously assigned topics and perform the rule as designed.

For more detail on AutoAssign rules, see our User Guide.

Please let me know if I can provide further assistance.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby nate » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:19 am

Hmm. That's not what I was expecting/hoping.

I'd like to have topics be automatically filed, or to be able to create AutoAssign rules based on topics (rather than from/to address, subject line, etc.).
nate

Postby brad » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:40 pm

I have one other workaround for you. We are currently testing v3.0. In that release, we have a function called "Unsubscribe from Thread". This function allows you to designate an email thread to automatically file to either an unsubscribed folder OR your Topics folders as new messages are received. It's a two step process that could do what you want - a new message is received, you assign a Topic to the message, then click unsubscribe to automatically move that message and all future messages in the thread to your Topic folder.

If you are interested in beta testing this new feature, please send an email to beta at clearcontext dot com.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support