The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Can you add a way to link threads?

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Can you add a way to link threads?

Postby danrhiggins » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:54 pm

I find the CC Thread view extremely valuable. But I frequently find that I have separate threads on the same topic because there is a slight change in the Subject line.

(You may ask why I don't use Topics but I have a couple hundred folders in Outlook. One for each client, one for each person on my team and numerous other topics. So the Topics idea only works for a very small subset of the 30-50 emails I get each day.)

So what I would like is a way to "connect" or "associate" or "merge" multiple threads into one. This would be manual. The priority would assume that of the highest priority thread. And would allow me to make better use of the "File Thread" button. Also would like to be able to "Delete Thread".
danrhiggins

Postby brad » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:37 pm

Dan:

Thanks for your suggestions. A way to associate disparate threads is an oft-requested feature. We are looking at ways to best do this for a future release. I don't have a time estimate for something like that right now. Delete Thread is also something that has been asked for that we are looking into. In the near term, you might want to consider creating a special "Deleted Threads" topic, use File Thread to dump to that folder, and manually delete the contents periodically.

FYI - I don't know is this will help your particular situation, but you can convert your folders to Topic folders if you want. The Topic Selector button is very useful for filing to these folders. See the Topic tutorials at the bottom of this page for some demonstrations.

Thanks again and please send more suggestions our way as you have them.
Brad Meador
brad

Re: Can you add a way to link threads?

Postby daaje » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:42 am

18 months later... If this feature has been added, I am unaware of how to do it. I would really like to be able to associate disparate (and parate) items in ClearContext.
--------
For example, last night I sent a message, forwarded it with related content, and created two follow-up tasks for after Labor Day; all four items are neatly associated in a thread. Shortly thereafter, I received my first response; it was not threaded with the other four items (even though the user had simply replied to my e-mail message). Curiously, it had inherited the correct Topic. This morning, I received the second user reply; it was threaded correctly.
--------
This happens on occasion (I haven't tracked to try to find a common cause). We use Exchange 2003 server; I don't know from which clients the user replies were sent (could be OWA or any Outlook client v2000 through 2007).
daaje

Re: Can you add a way to link threads?

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:24 am

There is not currently a way to associate separate threads together.

...I received my first response; it was not threaded with the other four items (even though the user had simply replied to my e-mail message). Curiously, it had inherited the correct Topic. This morning, I received the second user reply; it was threaded correctly.

This sounds like either an unscored message or a confused thread record. Are you running ClearContext on more than one machine simultaneously? If so, that could cause the issue you saw. Shut down on one machine before opening on another. If that's not the issue, try adjusting your processing delay to avoid message conflicts.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support