The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Cannot file message from Sent Items

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Cannot file message from Sent Items

Postby mattcooling » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:54 am

Sometimes when I send an e-mail and assign a topic, it still gets left in 'Sent Items'. If I view the item in 'Sent Items', it both has the correct topic assigned in the CC-TopicName field, and the topic is also displayed in the topic selector on the toolbar.

In addition, if I subsequently try and file the message by clicking the 'File Msg' button, nothing happens.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Note that this does not always occur; I'm still trying to identify a pattern between those which are filed automatically and those which aren't.
mattcooling

Postby brad » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:28 am

Matt:

Please run a test for me. Drag the sent message into the Inbox, then back into Sent Items. Now can you file?

Thanks.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby brad » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:29 am

One more thing - is it possible these sent messages were started from a source outside of Outlook (i.e. a web page or Word or something like that?)?
Brad Meador
brad

Postby mattcooling » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:35 am

Hi Brad. I moved the e-mail from the Sent Items to Inbox, and then back again. As soon as it hit the Sent Items folder it disappeared into the topic folder. Strange?

In answer to your second post, the e-mail was created directly from Outlook.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Matt
mattcooling

Postby brad » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:22 am

It sounds like some other process is interfering with IMS's ability to process the message on send (i.e. assign it a thread id and score it). Are you running any other add-ins or processes that might affect sent messages?
Brad Meador
brad

Postby mattcooling » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:43 am

Hi Brad, there's nothing I'm aware of. The only add-in I have installed is ClearContext.
mattcooling

Postby brad » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:21 am

How often is this issue occurring? Have you been able to figure out a pattern or a way to reproduce the issue reliably?
Brad Meador
brad

Postby mattcooling » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:45 am

Unfortunately I haven't been able to spot a pattern. I'll update the case when it happens again and see if I can spot a pattern then. Thanks for your assistance anyway.

Regards, Matt
mattcooling

Postby mattcooling » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:31 am

Hi Brad,

This has just happened again. Although I can't identify anything I did differently to normal, I did notice one thing ... when I was creating the e-mail message I pressed the 'follow-up msg' button, and nothing happened. When I clicked send, it just sent it, an did not pop up the 'choose topic' dialog.

Does this help?

Matt
mattcooling

Postby mattcooling » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:33 am

Think I'm getting somewhere with this now.

I can create the same behaviour by either:

Clicking send, cancelling the 'choose topic' dialog, and then sending again.

OR

Writing the e-mail, clicking send. When its brings up the spell check, click Cancel, and then choose not to send (Cancel again).

Can you replicate the behaviour on your machine?
mattcooling

Postby brad » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:08 am

Matt:

I'm still not seeing it here - can you give me a little more detail?

1. What version of Windows and Outlook are you running?
2. Make sure that you are running the latest version of ClearContext (v3.1.1). Check via ClearContext > About.
3. How do you access your email? If Exchange, online or via Cached Exchange Mode?
4. What other add-ins are you running?

Please describe in painstaking detail keystroke by keystroke how you replicate it. I'm looking for this level of detail:
a. Press New on the Inbox toolbar
b. Enter To and Subject
c. Press Send via toolbar on composed message
d. Spell check comes up, press cancel
e. Spell check warning comes up, press OK to send.

etc...

Finally, two more things:
1. Go to ClearContext > About, press Email Support and send me the data in that message. Please reference this thread.
2. Though I don't have a specific reason to think this will help, a lot of quirky issues are resolved by some basic Outlook maintenance. Please follow directions here to maintain your Outlook mail file: http://blog.clearcontext.com/2006/12/vi ... ook_p.html . Regardless of whether or not this helps this particular issue, it should help your general performance.

Sorry for the tedium, but I want to get to the bottom of this. Thanks!
Brad Meador
brad

Postby mattcooling » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:13 am

Hi Brad, more than happy to help get this fixed. Here you go.

1. Windows XP SP2, Outlook 2003 SP2
2. Yes, running 3.1.1
3. Exchange, via Cached Exchange Mode
4. Infotriever and X1

a. Press New on the Inbox toolbar
b. Enter To and Subject
c. Press Send via toolbar on composed message
d. Spell check comes up, press cancel
e. Spell check warning comes up, select No
f. Press Send via toolbar on composed message
g. Spell check comes up, proceed with spell check - ignore/change through the spelling mistakes
At this point, no File To Topic message comes up, the message goes into Sent Items, and subsequent file operations don't work until it has been moved into the inbox

1. E-mail sent.
2. Will follow items in the blog, and let you know if they fix it.
mattcooling

Postby brad » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:09 pm

Matt:

FYI - I have duplicated your environment here, but I'm still not seeing the issue. Please let me know if running maintenance on Outlook helps.

Thanks!
Brad Meador
brad

Postby mattcooling » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:42 am

Hi Brad,

Unfortunately that didn't have any effect.

Matt
mattcooling

Postby brad » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:21 pm

Matt:

Thanks for the additional information. I have exactly duplicated your environment here in our labs, but have still been unable to reproduce. The only difference is that I am running a slight update to Outlook, but I don't think that will have an impact. If you wanted to be 100% sure you could go to Windows Update and download the latest Office patch.

I would like to ask that you test one thing for me. Do you see the same behavior with Follow-Up? Try this:
- Click "New message".
- Fill in addressee and subject.
- Type one misspelled word into message body
- Click Send
- Spell check window flags the problem word. Click Cancel.
- Spell check window disappears, "Do you want to send anyway" dialog appears. Click No.
- Click Followup - does it open?

Thanks in advance for the information.
Brad Meador
brad

Next

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support