The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

CC 3.1 slows Outlook / Exchange 2003 to a crawl

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

CC 3.1 slows Outlook / Exchange 2003 to a crawl

Postby stlblufan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:50 am

I have installed ClearContext 3.1 on a XP Professional machine with Outlook 2003 utilizing Exchange 2003 (no caching).

Since installing ClearContext, each interaction with the Exchange server has become agonizingly slow. Any time a new message shows up, Outlook locks up for up to a minute, Exchange shows a message indicating that it is trying to receive data from the server. After a minute or so passes, everything returns to normal; the message is in Outlook, correctly tagged/coded/etc, but this wait is unacceptable.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? Is there any resolution? I have tried turning on caching (which doesn't really work with the network configuration but that's another story) and it made no difference.

Thanks in advance.
stlblufan

Postby brad » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:05 am

Brad Meador
brad

Postby djblois » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:04 pm

Brad,

I am having the same issue. I tried the tip from your faq but it doesn't help
Daniel J Blois
djblois

Postby brad » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:19 pm

Daniel:

Are you running online Exchange or in Cached Exchange Mode? See Tools > E-Mail Accounts > Next and open your Exchange account to check?

Are you using OL2003 or 2007? Microsoft recently released a patch to help with 2007 performance issues.

Finally, linked to in the post above, try some mail file maintenance and see if that helps your performance.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby djblois » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:25 am

Brad,

I am running off a hosted exchange from 4smartphone.net. I am using 2007 and I installed that update and I am still getting the problem. What do you mean mail maintentance?
Daniel J Blois
djblois

Postby brad » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:43 am

See Tools > Account Settings > and open your Exchange account - is cached exchange mode checked? If not, try checking it and restarting Outlook. This will create a local copy of your mail file and may improve performance. Ensure that you have enough hard drive space for a copy of your mail file to be stored there before making this change.

Also, see this post on Outlook performance - consider decreasing your mail file size via archiving and, if you are already running cached exchange, follow instructions to run a scan of your mail file.

Finally, this SlipStick article as some additional tips for improving Outlook 2007 performance.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support