The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

CC causes exchange delivery failures. RESOLVED v4.6.3

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

CC causes exchange delivery failures. RESOLVED v4.6.3

Postby gabrielf » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:56 am

Hi there,

I'm hoping you can help me, as I've got a MASSIVE problem. First, the vital statistics:

- Windows XP SP3
- Outlook 2007 (exchange mode)
- Clearcontext 4.5.1
- Accessing an exchange account
- No other outlook add-ins installed
- Mail is accessed from only one place.
- Severity = FATAL.

OK... the problem I'm experiencing is as follows:

I get delivery failure messages from exchange whenever I reply to a mail, and this is consistently reproducible. If I send a fresh mail, the mail gets delivered. If I reply or forward, exchange comes back with the following message:

Code: Select all
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:   RE: Netcool Issues
      Sent:   9/23/2008 4:40 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

XXXXXXXXX on 9/23/2008 4:42 PM
            The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was refused.  Attempt to resend the message.  If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
            <ZABRYSVISEX04.af.didata.local #5.2.1>

I've managed to reproduce this error faithfully, and reluctantly, have to lay the blame, however improbable, at clearcontext's feet.

The reason I've come to this conclusion is as follows:

1) This problem started shortly after I upgraded to the latest CC.
    2) The problem goes away if I disable CC in the trust center.
    3) The problem comes back when I reenable CC.
    4) A colleague, whom I persuaded to try CC out is now having the exact same issue with the personal edition.
    5) I've had a team of exchange administrators crowded around my desk, trying to fix the problem, and according to them, my colleague and I are the only two people in an 800+ organization that are having this issue.
I really really like the new version... the new coat of paint is welcome, and the new dashboard is an amazing improvement. I can't live without CC, but now I cant live with the new version.

Is there any chance you could point me to the old version until this gets resolved?
gabrielf

Re: CC causes exchange delivery failures.

Postby fingal » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:48 pm

Aha! I was racking my brain, trying to figure out why *my* exchange account all of a sudden had trouble sending emails to certain recipients (not all). I have consistent delivery failures to five recipients, causing my exchange administrators no end of confusion trying to research the cause.

Based on gabrielf's experience, I tried the same thing. When I disable the most recent version of the CC addin, the emails sail on through to those same recipients.

With the addin-enabled I get similar email rejection notices. "... The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was refused. Attempt to resend the message. If it still fails, contact your system administrator. ..."

Carl
fingal

Postby carl » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:46 pm

I think the answer (or at least an explanation of what's happening) might be in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1476

-Carl
carl

Postby gabrielf » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:46 am

Hi Carl,

Thanks, I've forwarded that possible solution onto our exchange admins. I hope they implement it for me.

However, CC Support, I desperately need the previous version of CC. I simply cannot function without CC, and this version is unusable to me until the exchange admins can fix things on their side.

Where can I download 4.4?
gabrielf

Postby carl » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:27 pm

I think I had this same issue with 4.4 (before the Pro beta). Maybe the CC support team could comment, but I don't think the message header content has changed that much from 4.4 to 4.5.1.
carl

Postby Scott - CC Support » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Sorry for the lack of response guys. We've been a little backed up w/ questions and support since the new release, but are quickly getting caught up. This is one issue we're in the middle of looking at and we'll update this thread with new information soon.

In the meantime, please send support@clearcontext an email if you need to downgrade until this problem is fixed. If you've already done that, you should hear back with instructions by end of day.

Thanks for your patience everyone, this is definitely one issue we're very focused on getting addressed soon.
Scott - CC Support

Postby gabrielf » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 pm

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the reassuring words. I've fired off my email to support. I'm at GMT+2, so I think you might be asleep right now, but I hope to receive something from you guys this evening (your morning :))
gabrielf

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Gabriel:

Just to follow up, we've sent you a link to the previous version of ClearContext. Can you confirm that this resolves your issue?

Thanks!
ClearContext Support

Postby gabrielf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:15 am

Hi,

I've just reinstalled version 4.0.7 as per the link I was sent from support, and it's working perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Eagerly awaiting a fix.
gabrielf

Postby Scott - CC Support » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:17 pm

A quick follow-up for all who come across this thread.

We are aware of an issue that can cause Non Delivery Reports when sending to recipients on specific Exchange servers. This is not an issue with ALL Exchange servers - only ones that meet a specific set of criteria. Carl was able to suss out the problem and posted a server-side solution here. (THANKS!)

In the near term, if you are experiencing this issue on a new install of ClearContext the above is the only workaround available. If you upgraded from a previous version of ClearContext (v4.0.7 or earlier) and the issue starts, a downgrade may also resolve the problem. Contact support at clearcontext dot com for access.

We realize that not everyone will have the ability change parameters on their organization's Exchange servers. We are building a workaround into a future release of the product. Any solution implemented touches ClearContext core functionality, so please be patient as we implement and QA the workaround. We will update this thread when the fix is available.

Thanks to all who have provided assistance troubleshooting this problem.
Scott - CC Support

Postby gabrielf » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the update. One other thing that may or may not help... I noticed that when I forwarded messages instead of replying to them, the mail got delivered fine, even to recipients that have produced the error consistently.
gabrielf

Postby gabrielf » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:08 am

Hi all,

I'm sorry to bump this topic... but I'd love an update on this problem. There's been a .2 point releases in the space between me raising this problem which didnt resolve the problem.

It's been a month, so, some progress must've been made. I can understand if you havent fixed it completely yet, but surely there's some feedback?
gabrielf

Postby Theo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:09 am

Just for information - I've had a couple occasions of this problem myself. Not enough to downgrade (yet).

Cheers

Theo
Theo

Postby brad » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:42 am

Gabriel, Theo, All:

Thanks for your feedback.. We realize that this is a large impact issue for several people and have a solution in QA. As Scott mentioned earlier:

Any solution implemented touches ClearContext core functionality, so please be patient as we implement and QA the workaround.

Unlike the low-impact, one and two-line code changes that made it into our point releases, the scope of this issue and the amount of code changes required will take time to fully vet before we can release it to the production. I anticipate a fix to be to be available before the end of the year. Thanks for your patience as we implement this solution.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby ClearContext Support » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:22 pm

Re-posting Carl's Server-Side solution here - we have recently locked the forum in which it was originally posted:

I think I have an answer on this one... I had the exact same problem and have been working with our corporate IT group for some time on it. They put some diagnostics on my account and watched me send emails and were able to pinpoint the problem. As soon as they made the change described below, the problem went away.

Hi Carl,

You are receiving NDR 5.2.1 while replying or forwarding the messages and the NDR is generated from Recipient server. Most of the NDR is from <<servername>>.

When we sent the same email to the test mailbox of Recipient storage group <<servername>>.test, Even we received the NDR because the message is having the named property name/id: "CC-TopicName" which is not present in store table and the store is not able to create the named property for it as it has reached the limit of 8192.

We moved the test mailbox to a server where named property has not reached limit and sent the email again and we didn’t receive the NDR. We have Xxxxxxxxxxx maintenance this week end to increase the NonMAPI Named Props Quota to 13000 which would resolve the issue.

The confusing thing was that the message failures only impacted certain people - that was because only those recipients were on the server with the low value for NonMAPI Named Props. As soon as the quota was increased on that server I could again send them emails.

The other confusing thing was the that the problem seemed to persist even when I turned OFF ClearContext. That was because I was forwarding messages that already had the additional CC info in the header. Those messages even failed when I sent them using Outlook Web Access instead of my PC client.

Anyway, it all makes sense now. Near term, it seems you have to get your IT Dept to change this property on their Exchange servers. Not sure if there is any other way around this in the ClearContext design.

Hope that helps.

-Carl
ClearContext Support

Next

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support