The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

CC not assigning or remembering topic assigned

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

CC not assigning or remembering topic assigned

Postby berky2500 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 am

I've searched the forum for a while and can't seem to find my particular problem, so apologies if this is a previously covered topic. I've noticed this behavior more and more the longer I use version 5.0. Additionally, I may not be clear on the new difference between topic and project.

I'm on version 5.0.2, Outlook 2007, Windows XP.

I may have several issues, but to me, they all seem related to a single issue or setting.
1. When new emails are received from a previously filed message, CC does not recognize the previously assigned topic, and I have to go find the email and assign it again.
2. When moving an email from one folder to another, CC only updates some of the emails with the new topic. The others remain at the original folder. I'm basing this on the Outlook view, the Categories column, or by opening the email and viewing the title bar Category assignment.
3. When I manually assign the topic to an email, sometimes a new one, but mostly to moved ones, the topic doesn't "take". ie, it doesn't appear in the category view, nor does it appear in the title bar if the email is open.

I've been using the File Msg: button on the toolbar to assign/change the topic and file the message. There are three buttons in the toolbar, from left to right, Project, File Msg:, and Thread. I've tried all three for a given message, none seem to have any effect. Although they seem to work fine if this is a new message being assigned for the first time.

Options settings:
When messages are moved to a Project
with currently assigned - Assign message thread to Project
without currently assigned - Assign message thread to Project

Any ideas?

Shawn
berky2500

Re: CC not assigning or remembering topic assigned

Postby berky2500 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:00 am

Further weird behavior (in relation to what I'm accustomed in v4)...every new message seems to be assigned with a Project of Inbox, even ones previously assigned a topic. If I don't assign a topic, as many emails are quickly answered and no requirement to keep, CC treats the reply as part of the Inbox project and files my reply in the Inbox, not in my Sent items. So I end up with two unwanted emails in my Inbox, the original that I want to send to Deleted Items, but can't without the delay for it to reappear, and my sent one which later appears in my Inbox.

After just three days of using v5, I'm beginning to decide that CC is really not helping me organize my inbox any better than using just Outlook. All of the CC-OK and CC-VIP categories really do nothing to prioritize what is really important.

The more I see, the more I read other posts from other users and I'm beginning to think all this strange behavior is now normal. I printed out the new user guide and will go through it and see what I need modify, but as one user stated, it is as if someone came into my kitchen and moved everything to a different location, but also replaced some of my appliances with simpler, less useful versions of my previously automated items.

Shawn
berky2500

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:08 am

Shawn:

There is something quirky going on with your setup. Please go to ClearContext > About > Email Support and send us the detail in that email. Include the following screen prints:

1. ClearContext > Options
2. ClearContext > Options > Project Options
3. Your folder list showing all mail files
4. A message that was assigned Project Inbox
5. A message that you expected to be assigned a Project but was not

Thanks for your patience as we troubleshoot.
ClearContext Support

Postby kschuster » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:29 am

I am seeing something like this as well. It seems like the topic assignment is being based on the Sender of the email and what I previously assigned it too. I get subsequent emails with the same Subject and different sender and it's not figuring out that it should be assigned to the previous topic. It almost seems like the subject is not being considered in determining context... Didn't have this issue at all in V4.
kschuster

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:42 am

kschuster:

Is the problem that the project isn't assigned or that the project isn't synchronized to the category field? When a project is assigned, the blue envelope icon appears in the File Msg button. These are two different issues, so want to make sure that we're addressing the correct one.

Also please note that while in v4 CC linked conversations by subject, in v5 we use the conversation ID. If you receive four separate threads with the same subject, CC v5 is likely to consider them different conversations.
ClearContext Support

Postby dgorecki » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm also seeing many cases where the topic is not assigned to all conversations in a thread.

Possibly related, I'm also noticing that not all emails in a thread are showing up in the MessageContext Box.

There are different scenarios:

1. Emails have been assigned projects and filed. Subsequent emails in the same thread are not assigned the same project. In fact, the proposed project on the "File" button is not even closely related.

2. I assign a project as I'm sending a reply to an email in the inbox. The message I send is put in my Sent Items folder (not the folder of the project), but the original message is assigned to the project / category I had selected! I can't seem to reproduce this one, but does not happen many time through the day.
dgorecki

Postby kschuster » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:53 am

I'm looking now at an instance where a new email has come in and the "File Msg" has assigned it to a project/topic that has nothing to do with the email other than the sender. It's as it's ignoring the subject completely. I would expect that if the subject contain text that is related to another project it would recognize it as such. I don't understand why the sender is given such priority.
kschuster

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:01 am

kschuster:

I'm looking now at an instance where a new email has come in and the "File Msg" has assigned it to a project/topic that has nothing to do with the email other than the sender. It's as it's ignoring the subject completely. I would expect that if the subject contain text that is related to another project it would recognize it as such. I don't understand why the sender is given such priority.

Project suggestions are based on sender and most recently used projects only. We may enhance this feature in the future to look and email content as well.

dgorecki:

1. Emails have been assigned projects and filed. Subsequent emails in the same thread are not assigned the same project. In fact, the proposed project on the "File" button is not even closely related.

Are the messages from internal or external senders or both? Were messages in this conversation forwarded or replied to?

2. I assign a project as I'm sending a reply to an email in the inbox. The message I send is put in my Sent Items folder (not the folder of the project), but the original message is assigned to the project / category I had selected! I can't seem to reproduce this one, but does not happen many time through the day.

When you click on the message in the Sent Items folder, is a project assigned in the File Msg button (blue envelope icon)? Were you replying to the message or forwarding it? Was this to an exchange recipient or an external recipient?

Thanks for your patience as we troubleshoot.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support