The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

ClearContext IMS v4 crashing Outlook every time during close

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

ClearContext IMS v4 crashing Outlook every time during close

Postby jwm4 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:08 pm

Environment:
Product Version: 4.0.3 22
Outlook Version: 12.0.0.6300 Exchange Cached
Exchange Version: 2049.5.33008.5
OS Version: 2-5.2
Installed Addins:
2 Microsoft.OMSAddin Microsoft Outlook Mobile Service
9 Microsoft.VbaAddinForOutlook.1 Microsoft VBA for Outlook Addin
3 Mindjet.Mm5OutlookMapMinderLinker.AddIn.2 Mindjet MindManager Topic Alerts Linker
0 Mindjet.Mm6OutlookLinker.AddIn.2 Export to Mindjet MindManager
3 OneNote.OutlookAddin.12 OneNote Notes about Outlook Items
3 Search.OutlookToolbar Windows Search Email Indexer
3 XobniMainConnectorShim.Connect Xobni
2 AccessAddin.DC Microsoft Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection and Publishing
3 ClearMail.Connect ClearContext
2 ColleagueImport.ColleagueImportAddin Microsoft Office SharePoint Server Colleague Import Add-in
3 Plx_out.PlxOutlookXP Plaxo
2 UmOutlookAddin.FormRegionAddin Microsoft Exchange Unified Messaging

Event Viewer Error Message - Faulting application outlook.exe, version 12.0.6300.5000, stamp 4760725d, faulting module outlook.exe, version 12.0.6300.5000, stamp 4760725d, debug? 0, fault address 0x001f9952.

Outlook worked fine with no crashes with all the existing Add-ins installed; crashing began immediately upon install of ClearContext and continues with all other Add-ins disabled. After several crashes, upon open Outlook generated a message saying it had experienced "severe problems" with the ClearContext" add-in and asks whether to disable it.

Please advise regarding how to troubleshoot and resolve.
jwm4

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:45 pm

Verify that this is not the result of corruption within your Outlook setup:

1. Run Help > Diagnostics from within Outlook.

2. Run SCANOST against your OST mail file. Details are here.

Please report back the results. Thanks.
ClearContext Support

Postby jwm4 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:20 pm

I've already done that - no problems with the ost file.
jwm4

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:19 pm

Sorry, just to confirm, in addition to checking the OST you ran Diagnostics as well?

If so and that had no effect, try uninstalling IMS, creating a new profile, allowing Exchange to rebuild your mail file, and reinstalling IMS. Issue resolved?
ClearContext Support

Postby jwm4 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:24 pm

[quote]Sorry, just to confirm, in addition to checking the OST you ran Diagnostics as well?

If so and that had no effect, try uninstalling IMS, [url=http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/CH010502121033.aspx]creating a new profile[/url], allowing Exchange to rebuild your mail file, and reinstalling IMS. Issue resolved?[/quote]

Yes, I ran SCANOST and Office Diagnostics and results of both were clean - no issues. I also ran the Office repair routine, just to make sure everything was copacetic.

Regarding the creation of a new profile, I don't have the time or the inclination to recreate all of the customized configurations I maintain in my Outlook profile. As previously noted, everything works fine without IMS. It really annoys when software vendors take the old Microsoft approach of recommending an OS reinstall for every software issue. It's another way of saying to your customer that their problem with [b]your[/b] software is not worth [b]your[/b] time and money to help them fix. Microsoft, to its credit, now has some of the best tech support going, so I guess they saw the light. Is there no other way to troubleshoot this IMS issue?
jwm4

Postby deva » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:30 am

jwm,

Our support goal is to keep 100% of our customers satisfied. However, sitting on top of the Outlook platform, sometimes we run into unique configurations that cause some problem that doesn't appear in any test setup in our lab. I understand your frustration, but one thing we've found in support is that many of the unique problems that get reported are actually due to underlying platform instabilities/corruptions/etc. that routinely occur within the Outlook environment (and can cause a number of problems with Outlook over time even without any external apps), so when we see a problem report that's an isolated occurrence and we can't seem to replicate it in our test labs, we start with the most common set of causes in trying to troubleshoot the problem. Unfortunately, some of those do result in some effort on the user's part that we would also prefer not to have people go through.

Support will take another look to see if there are any other possible routes to look into regarding this problem, but please do understand that sometimes the only way we can reliably troubleshoot in these situations is by eliminating a set of potential root causes of the problem before diving deeper into the problem. I do understand if that's not a process you have time to be involved in and we'll still give our best efforts to solve the problem.
deva

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:38 am

jwm:

Please go to ClearContext > Support, press Email Support, and send us the data in that email. Reference this thread when you do so.
ClearContext Support

Postby jwm4 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:36 am

Deva, that's a very fair reply and I appreciate your willingness to go the extra step.

ClearContext Support, could you please clarify what data you want me to email you. I don't see any earlier request for data. What I was going to suggest sending you are the two files created by Microsoft Error Reporting Service that Outlook asks to send to Microsoft after every crash, but you may be looking for something else in addition. Please let me know. Thanks.
jwm4

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:38 am

I mis-typed. From Outlook, go to ClearContext > About, press Email Support and send us the data in the email that is created. Thanks.
ClearContext Support

Postby jwm4 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks, I just sent it.
jwm4

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:59 am

To anyone who comes across this issue in the forums. If you experience this problem (crashing when Outlook is closed) please go to ClearContext > About > Email Support and send us the data in that email and description of the problem. We have a fix that we will send you.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support