The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Configuration and Setup

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Configuration and Setup

Postby ratkinson » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:43 am

I just recently downloaded ClearContext to evaluate and have a question regarding the configuration/setup process. I installed the product about 3 hours ago and it's on step 7 of 7 in which it's prioritizing my inbox. It appears to be less then 1/2 way through. While I can use my system it is impacting performance. If I cancel the current process will ClearContext pickup the process from where it stopped or will it begin the entire process from the beginning.
ratkinson

Process will start over

Postby deva » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:07 pm

Unfortunately, in the current release, the prioritization process will restart. We hope to allow re-starting the process in a future release.

What is your email configuration (pop/exchange/etc.) and how big is your mailfile?
deva

Postby ratkinson » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:20 pm

The mail configuration is exchange and the mail file itself is approximately 1.2 GB. This is going to be a amjor drawback in that I can't impact productivity for hours while the email box is setup.
ratkinson

Postby deva » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:13 pm

Yes, we are aware of this issue for people with very large mail files. Depending on the network setup and responsiveness, this process can take a long time for Exchange users with large mailfiles.

One suggestion that might help is only selecting for contact prioritization your most important folders where your emails from people who you recently correspond with would be stored. This can vastly increase the speed and will still get your most important email correspondents properly prioritized.
deva

Postby deva » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:43 am

Sorry, just realized that your problem is occuring in the inbox priortization step, not the analysis. Changing the number of folders scanned won't affect that, as the contact analysis step has already been completed.

How many emails do you have stored in your Inbox?
deva

Postby ratkinson » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:23 am

The inbox has about 10-12,000 emails. There are more in subfolders but my understanding of your product is that it doesn't scan those areas as part of the prioritization process only for the contacts.
ratkinson

Postby deva » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:07 pm

You are correct, the prioritization step is only impacted by the number of emails in your inbox. In an earlier response I misread and thought you were on the analysis step.

Unfortunately, we do not have a good solution for you at this point. We have POP users w/ similar-sized inboxes, but none of our users running on Exchange (where the prioritization process takes a little longer) have anywhere near the size inbox you have.

The only thing we can suggest at this point is perhaps letting the process run overnight if that is possible. This is a one-time process. Once the inbox is prioritized, only the new incoming messages go through this process, so you won't see this kind of delay. However, you won't be able to rescore the inbox (ie: adjusting the scoring parameters to customize the prioritization algorithm) without going through this whole step again - so you'll have to make do with the default prioritization parameters (which is what the majority of users do anyway).

We are looking into speeding up the inbox prioritization process so the product is more viable for use with extremely large inboxes. We appreciate your comments, and thanks for your patience in trying out the product.
deva

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support