The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Dashboard changes in 5.1

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Dashboard changes in 5.1

Postby watsonjim2004 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:27 am

I am glad that we can finally pin projects to the dashboard, but the dashboard seems pretty different now. Is there a way to get to the old dashboard view?
watsonjim2004

Re: Dashboard changes in 5.1

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:12 am

The old Dashboard is no longer available. I expect that you will find with use that, though different, the new dashboard is superior. If there are particular features you are missing, please let us know and we'll point you to the v5.1 equivalent.
ClearContext Support

Postby watsonjim2004 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:39 pm

Hhmm. What I see now is that the Dashboard has tasks and appointments for projects. I don't use tasks in Outlook. What I liked about the old Dashboard is that if you had emails and appointments assigned to topics you could pop up a window that had just that project's emails and appointments. If you had tasks then those tasks showed up as well. Perfect for focusing on a specific task or set of tasks. Now all I get in the Dashboard is tasks and appointments. Since I don't use task managment in Outlook, this doesn't work very well for me.
watsonjim2004

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:31 pm

I'm curious, do you file most of your messages to project folders, leave them in the Inbox, or file to a single folder?
ClearContext Support

Postby watsonjim2004 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:38 am

I file all of my messages into project folders. One of the things that I love about Clearcontext is how easy it is to do that. I was away for a week on vacation, and when I returned I had over 600 emails to read and deal with. It was a piece of cake using Clearcontext. When I read an email I assign it to a project, or delete it. Then when I am done reading email I file everything into appropriate folders. Now what I would like is for the Dashboard to pull up those folders that are project folders, show me the emails in there, and also show me appointments that go with those projects.(All appointments are attached to projects as well, also using Clearcontext.)Then I can focus on individual projects and have all the information that I need in front of me. The one way in which I didn't have a unified view is that I use the Outlook-Onenote add-in, and send all emails and appointments for which I have actions out to Onenote. In onenote I have a notebook that takes all of my outlook items. Then I can add in stuff like other files, papers that are related to the topic etc. I also use Clearcontext to schedule time for those items. Then I can sit down at the appropriate time and have all of the information that I need in only two places. However, now that the dashboard has changed, I am going to have to figure out a different way of doing things. The only thing that I didn't like about the old dashboard was that you had to reset the projects that you were working on each time you set up the dashboard. Not that big a deal, but somewhat tedious. The current dashboard doesn't really fit my needs. The other parts of Clearcontext work great, and I love them, but I had assumed that the dashboard would still look the same as it did, but you would be able to "Pin" the projects that are in the forefront of what you are working on.
watsonjim2004

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:13 am

Thanks for the detail. Given that you file to project folders, please describe the advantages of showing messages + appointments in the v5.0 dashboard vs. clicking on a project folder in v5.1 to see the messages listed in Outlook and project appointments in the Project tab.
ClearContext Support

Postby watsonjim2004 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:38 am

Couple of things. First, the display in the earlier Dashboard was good. By clicking on the Dashboard, then clicking on the tab for a project, everything popped up. Convenience. Second, in the project tab I apparently only have projects listed that have tasks assigned to them, which in my outlook is not many. Exactly two. And I have no idea why there are tasks there since I don't use Outlook for task managment. Perhaps there is something about the new dashboard that I don't understand?
watsonjim2004

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:18 am

Three things:
  1. It's not clear from your responses; but it sounds like you are only looking at the Dashboard tab in the Sidebar? Open the Project tab to view your project information
  2. The Project tab will update as you click through folders. The quickest way to review your messages + appointments it to click on the Project tab, then click through the project folders that you want to review
  3. It sounds like the Project Summary in the Dashboard tab is only showing Active projects. At the top of the Dashboard change the view filter from Active to Find to see your entire Project list
ClearContext Support

Postby watsonjim2004 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Okay. It's getting a little clearer now. I changed from Active to Find, and went in and pinned the projects that are on top of my heap right now. This gives me a view not exactly like the old one, but close enough.

Thanks.
watsonjim2004

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:30 pm

It's still not clear to me; have you double-clicked a pinned project to open a Project Dashboard in the Project tab? Once there, you should see the new note-taking capability along with the Projects appointments and links to Files and Contacts.
ClearContext Support

Postby sjordi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:11 am

The previous daashboard being gone is the main reason I abandoned ClearContext.
It's too bad.
The new one has absolutely no interest at all for me. You don't get a clear picture of what's going on.
I found it back, in a way, in Act!
Steve Jordi
Prangins, Switzerland
sjordi

Postby brad » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:19 am

Steve:

I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to elaborate. Please describe in more detail how you used the v4 dashboard and what the v5 sidebar is not sufficient. In particular, I'm interested in how the picture of what's going on was clearer in v4 and the use case for seeing information presented that way in a separate window vs. integration in the sidebar. Any additional detail you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks!
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support