The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Deleted topic still appearing in Topic Suggestions list

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Deleted topic still appearing in Topic Suggestions list

Postby jonathanh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:40 pm

After deleting a topic folder, I'm still seeing the topic name appear in the Topic Suggestions dropdown. It's pretty weird, because it appears in the "-- Suggested Topics --" section, but not in the "-- All Topics --" section :)

Things I've tried that haven't had any effect:
1. Quitting and restarting Outlook
2. Rescoring my inbox
3. Creating custom search folders to find all old items that had the deleted topic name, and giving them an existing topic name instead.

This is annoying, because it's easy to click the bogus suggested topic name and then have ClearContext ask if I want to create that folder (at least I can turn on that option!)

Configuration: ClearContext Personal Edition 4.5.1 on Outlook 2007 SP1, Vista SP1. Outlook running against Exchange 2007.
jonathanh

Re: Deleted topic still appearing in Topic Suggestions list

Postby jonathanh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:30 pm

I found a workaround - I had to track down ALL of the old items that I had created with the deleted topic name (both mail items and task items), and remove the topic name from those items. Once I did this, the deleted topic name disappeared from the suggestions list.
jonathanh

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:06 pm

The Topic Suggestions database is remembers the last topics you assigned to individual contacts. It is not updated when a folder is deleted. Deleted Topics will eventually fall off the list as you continue to assign new Topics to your contacts.
ClearContext Support

Postby kproth » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:02 pm

I've been running into this issue too. Thanks for the user tip on prompting before creating a new topic folder, I didn't notice it previously in the options dialog. I've either renamed or moved several folders as I've become accustomed to CC (in part since it seems to have some minor issues with forward slashes in folder names), and of course the old name or location of my folders continues to show up in suggested topics; for several days at my rate of email consumption...

I have two requests to make regarding this issue:

1: To me, it seems the label for this option should say "New Topic Folder Creation: ..."; without the word Folder, I had no idea what it meant.

2: Would it be possible to add an option to help clean-out outdated topics from ClearContext's list of suggested topics? I'm not sure how this would work; maybe a button that lets you remove "deleted" topics from all items in my mailbox? Even better would be if CC could detect when a topic folder is being moved or renamed and offer to automatically update all existing topic assignments!
kproth

Postby Scott - CC Support » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions. I have added #1 to our list for consideration. #2 is already on the list and I expect to provide better Topic management in a future release.
Scott - CC Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support