The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Exchange X500 directory addresses for internal email

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Exchange X500 directory addresses for internal email

Postby ssholloway » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:40 am

Environment info:
Windows XP SP2
Outlook 2003 SP2
CC 2.0.6
Exchange (5.5, I think)
Serious

All our internal email uses X500 addresses(/o=, /ou=, /cn=), not SMTP addresses (user@domain).
1. During setup, CC created Contact records for people who are in the company's Global Address List. I assume this necessary to set the priority for these people. However, CC creates the Contact record using the SMTP address, not the X500 address. Thus, there is an inconsistency between the GAL and the CC Contacts. Not to mention the redundancy between the CC Contacts and the GAL. I didn't see anything about this in the installation guide. I assume I can delete any CC Contacts that I want to have a normal priority. BTW, I was directly connected to our LAN when I installed, so the GAL was available.
2. I tried to manually set up an AutoAssign rule using the SMTP addresses of internal senders but CC cannot reconcile the SMTP addresses with the X500 addresses although both are in the GAL, so the rule did not work. The rule does work when I create it from an existing email. However, if I want more than one internal sender's email address to be part of the rule, I have to cut and paste the additional X500 addresses from the GAL, and those are long and complicated strings. What a pain! If CC can't reconcile between SMTP and X500 addresses, there should be a way to add additional addresses to a rule using existing emails. When I tried that and specified an existing rule name, CC would not let me modify the exising rule and wanted to overwrite it.
ssholloway

Postby brad » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:04 pm

Susan:

The resolution of Exchange addresses to SMTP is a known issue that we are working on. Without going into all the technical details, it's a little more complicated than you might think at first blush to implement Exchange to SMTP resolution. That said, it's on the future features list (see Beyond 3.0 on our v3 product plan update) and will be addressed in a future release.

I assume I can delete any CC Contacts that I want to have a normal priority.

Yes.

However, if I want more than one internal sender's email address to be part of the rule, I have to cut and paste the additional X500 addresses from the GAL, and those are long and complicated strings.

There's no way around this at this time other than to create a separate rule for each address or cut and paste as you describe. As mentioned earlier, we will eventually make this easier.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support