The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Google Desktop Search (within Outlook) opens automatically

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Google Desktop Search (within Outlook) opens automatically

Postby bkodarapu » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:42 pm

Hi

I am using Windows XP SP2, Outlook 2003 SP2 and ClearContext 2.0.4.
Within Outlook, When I try to assign a topic to an email and hit enter (to confirm), Google Desktop Search results popup window opens automatically.
I don't really care that much for GDS from within Outlook so I deleted the Google Desktop Toolbar completely from Outlook (by going to View - Toolbars - Customize) but the toolbar keeps coming back every time I restart Outlook.
Does any one have a solution for this?

Thanks
Balki
bkodarapu

Postby brad » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:29 pm

Balki:

No one else has reported this issue. Are you sure that you aren't accidentally typing the Topic name into the GDS Search box instead of the Topic Drop Down? If this is not the case, can you please describe in great detail each step you are taking when you assign a topic? (i.e. highlight a message in the Inbox, click on the Topic Drop Down, type existing topic or new topic, hit enter, etc..) Does this issue occur every time you assign a topic or only occasionally? A reboot did not fix the problem?

You could disable GDS in Outlook by going to Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Com Add-ins and unchecking GDS. However, it is my understanding that this will keep GDS from indexing your Outlook mail file.

Thanks.
Brad Meador
brad

Detailed explanation

Postby bkodarapu » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:05 pm

The GDS search box opens up in the following case:
1) I select a message that has no topic.
2) I go to topic field by using the hotkey Alt+P (or by using my mouse to drop the cursor in that field)
3) I select an available topic (using autocomplete) or type up a new topic and hit the "Enter" key on my keyboard.
This is when the GDS popup shows up.

The GDS search box DOES NOT open in the following cases:
1) During the above process, if you remove a topic and press the Enter Key.
2) If I assign a new topic by selecting it from the drop-down (i.e. no Enter Key used)

I don't care for GDS launched from within Outlook but I do want my email indexed by Google.

Yes, I see the GD Search window every time the above conditions are met.

The only (temporary) workaround is to compeletely deleted the GDS toolbar. But the toolbar (and the issue) comes right back if I restart Outlook :(

Thanks
Balki
bkodarapu

Postby brad » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:53 pm

What version of GDS are you running? Are you running any other add-ins in Outlook?
Brad Meador
brad

Postby bkodarapu » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:39 pm

Google Desktop 4.2006.0627.0443-en-pb
The only other Add-ins I have for outlook are:
Microsoft CRM 3.0 Desktop client for Microsoft Office Outlook(3.0.5300.0)
c360 Suite of Tools version 3.0.6.108 (this is a productivity suite for the CRM Client)
- Console
- CustomizationEngine
- Summary
- Toolkit
- Troubleshooter
bkodarapu

Postby brad » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:49 pm

Balki:

I've duplicated your environment in our labs, but I can't replicate the problem. Perhaps if you move the GDS toolbar to another position in your Inbox this will have an impact?

I searched the Google forums for a way to disable the Google Outlook toolbar without losing email indexing, but I did not find a solution.

The only other suggestion I can make is that you try another Desktop Search package? I like Copernic, but Windows Desktop Search is also a good option. Neither require Outlook to be open to index email.

Please let me know if I can provide further assistance.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support