The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Managing Topic Suggestions

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Managing Topic Suggestions

Postby barthrh » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:23 am

I've seen other messages on this: You restructure your Outlook folders, but the Topic Suggestions still contain old folders. The only remedy is to re-analyze your contacts. This does clean up some stuff, but not all bad suggestions.

The problem is that even if you have set CC to prompt before creating a new topic, it does not do this if you pick an obsolete suggestion. It re-creates the folder and puts the message there. Then when you're looking for something you could *swear* you saved, you can't find it, only to discover that you accidentally selected an obsolete suggestion when filing.

This is my biggest complaint w/ CC. Especially as a relatively new users (< 6 mos) I made a bunch of changes since starting. It drive me nuts to find that I messed up and put something into an old suggestion and now have to move the messages, delete the folders, and hope I don't err again.

Is there not some way to allow a user to manage suggestions? I tried setting suggestions to 0 and then back, but it won't forget them. I'd love either new functionality to either clear suggestion history and/or allow editing of suggestions.

Is there something I can do now? I'm fine with editing the registry, xml files, or whatever to get these darn things fixed. If there is no fix, I'll just have to turn them off.
barthrh

Re: Managing Topic Suggestions

Postby Scott - CC Support » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:29 am

We will address the removal of errant Topics from Topic Suggestions in a future release.

You can start from scratch by removing the DB file and re-analyzing contacts. Here's how:

1. Close Outlook
  2. Navigate to your ClearContext program directory. This is located:
    • Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\ClearContext\ClearContext Information Management System\
    • Windows Vista - C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Local\ClearContext\ClearContext Information Management System\
    Where {USER_NAME} is your Windows login name. You may need to display hidden files and folders to find this directory.
  3. Rename cc_user.db to cc_user_bu.db
  4. Open Outlook
  5. Re-run Analyze Contacts via ClearContext > Options

This will reset all of your Topic suggestions and will reset many of your scorecard metrics and statistics. If you decide you like the old results better, rename cc_user_bu.db to cc_user.db.

Thanks for the feedback.
Scott - CC Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support