The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Message Topic Assignment

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Message Topic Assignment

Postby TP » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:04 pm

From what I see in the app’s behavior and what I read in the posts, I take it the software currently maintains topic assignment based on the subject of the e-mail. I receive a lot of e-mail with common subjects and this throws off the whole topic assignment, either the new e-mail is incorrectly assigned upon receipt or the prior e-mails get reassigned when I assign the new message the correct topic.

I also found I have to be cautious about subjects of new e-mails as sometimes they are incorrectly associated if the subject matches a previously assigned message.

Do you have any work arounds / suggestions for this issue?

Can you develop a feature that would allow a thread ID to be added to each message as it is filed or sent, and if it already existed in a message the thread ID would continue for the entire e-mail chain?

Using Outlook 2007, ClearContext 3.0.5, Windows XP-SP2
TP

Postby brad » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:05 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. Your understanding of how the product works is correct, and, as stated here, subject is currently the only reliable way that we can track threads and associate Topics with them. We are always looking for new ways to handle this, but in the near term I don't have a solution.

The only current workaround is to try to use unique subjects when composing messages, including editing a non-unique subject to break the thread when responding to an email.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support