The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

MS Office 2010 Setup

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

MS Office 2010 Setup

Postby onlineguy777 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:16 am

I use exchange server and access my email from three computers, office, home office and laptop. My specific questions are:

1. Can I use one ClearContext license for all three computers? I currently have entered the same license key for two instances. I have not yet entered it on the third because the trial version has not yet expired and I can't find the option to enter the licence key.

2. I have played around with the option setting and can't seem to get the process flow configured to what I am used to from an old filing add-in. I would like to be prompted to "Assign Project?" every time I send a new email or respond/respond all or forward an email. I seem to have found a way for all new emails however the prompt to "Assign Project?" for replies and forwards seems to be intermittent. I turned off the "Synchronize Projects to Categories" option as I think this may have been creating an auto-file rule, however the "Assign Project?" prompt still seems intermittent (not sure what the logic is that make the prompt pop up or not). I would like the prompt because I want the option of what emails to file and which to not file and I don't want all email in a conversation filed because there would be to many...

3. Could you explain the Option under the "Project Options" tan and how they work. I looked in the PDF manual and the explanations didn't seem complete for what I was trying to accomplish.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..
onlineguy777

Re: MS Office 2010 Setup

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:32 pm

The ClearContext license allows for use on up to 2 computers accessing the same mail accounts.

For prompting of "Assign Project", by default the option is set to "as needed" where you are only asked when it seems like a Project/Filing assignment is needed. If you want to override this, from the Project Options tab, set "When sending a message, ask about Project assignment" to "Every Time"

Project Options:
- New Project Folder Creation: whether you should be prompted to create a new Folder when you enter a Project/Folder that does not currently exist

Sent and Replied Message:
- Save messages to Project Folder: instead of saving sent messages to the Outlook sent messages folder, move them to a Filing Project folder, if assigned
- When sending a message, ask about Project assignment - explained above

- When messages are moved to a Project: options for whether the Project Folder assignment should be assigned to messages if they are manually moved to a folder, outside of ClearContext's filing functions

- Unsubscribed Message: option to file messages that are unsubscribed to a Project folder, if assigned, instead of the ClearContext Unsubscribed folder

- Category Synchronization: whether the Project/Folder name should be copied to the message's category field, and what prefix/suffix to use to denote the Project/Folder
name
ClearContext Support

Postby onlineguy777 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:32 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I spent a little more time testing the configuration.

It seems if an email is "filed" to a folder (project) using "Select a Project" option, then is replied to from the folder, the reply is "auto-filed" back to the project folder and the "Assign Project?" prompt does not appear. This occurs even when the "File This Email" button is not selected.

If an email is dragged to a folder manually, this does not occur. I have the "Do not assign Project" toggles selected for both option under "When messages are moved to a Project." I also have unchecked the "Synchronize Projects to Categories" option.

I am using ClearContext because the previous filing add-in I used, Quick File, does not work with the 64-bit version of Outlook. I am a GTD user and have project folders set up in my outlook. I simply want to use ClearContext to move and/or file emails into my folders. It is ok if the program memorizes email patterns, however I still would like to have the ability to file to a different folder/project or not file at all, so having the "Assign Poject?" prompt appear on every email whether new or a reply or forward and not auto-filing anything would be great. Is this possible to set up?
onlineguy777

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:13 am

There are 2 auto-filing options when replying to a message. These options are located in the toolbar/ribbon of the message compose window:

- File this email: sets whether the message your are sending will be stored in the Outlook sent items folder, or an associated Project filing folder. When this option is off, sent emails should always remain in the Outlook sent items folder.

- Original message file/delete: sets whether the message you are replying to will be automatically filed or deleted.

Note that these settings are sticky, and will remain in the last state you set them in for each email you send.

I have tested your scenario of replying to a filed message with the "file this email" option turned off, and I see the copy of the sent message remaining in the Outlook sent items folder.
ClearContext Support

Postby onlineguy777 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:54 pm

I have both toggles turned off and when I reply to messages that I "Filed" the reply is being auto-filed. The Assign Project prompt never appears. There is a project listed under the big "Project" tab on the left of the reply bar. I have attached a screen clip. As you can see, both toggles are off. When I reply to this message, my reply is auto-filed to the project listed. Any suggestions?
Attachments
Screen Clip.jpg
Screen Clip.jpg (74.46 KiB) Viewed 8324 times
onlineguy777

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:18 pm

It does not sound like the sent message filing is working as intended. Can you send us an email by going to the ClearContext tab, More->About screen, then pressing the "email support" button? That will allows us to take a look at your configuration and logs.
ClearContext Support

Postby onlineguy777 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:24 pm

I just noticed if the message has a blue envelope in the logo, it auto files when I hit reply (the project) is listed in the upper left of reply bar. If the message has a question mark "?", the project is listed as "<Unassigned>" so doesn't auto file... Not sure why some messages have the blue envelope and some have a questions mark...
Attachments
Screen Clip 2.jpg
Screen Clip 2.jpg (7.77 KiB) Viewed 8315 times
Screen Clip 1.jpg
Screen Clip 1.jpg (6.45 KiB) Viewed 8315 times
onlineguy777

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:24 pm

The blue envelope means that you have associated a Project/Folder to a message conversation by filing a prior message.

The green question mark means that the displayed Project/Folder is a suggestion by ClearContext based on your filing patterns. Pressing the button is needed to confirm the assignment. In your compose window, this would associate the message conversation with the Project/Folder while in the main Outlook window, the filing button would file the selected message to the suggestion.

Automatic filing of sent/original message only occurs on messages with an assigned Project/Folder, so your last observation is how things are expected to work.

I believe the reason you are seeing sent messages being filed is because the second computer connected to your Exchange account has the option to file sent messages enabled. In an Exchange environment, the knowledge of which message threads are assigned to Folder/Projects are shared automatically between multiple instances of ClearContext. However, the preferences such as the sent message filing are local to each computer.

You can set the sent message filing preference in your second computer without sending a message by going to the ClearContext Options screen, Project Options tab, and unselect the option to save sent message to Project folders.
ClearContext Support

Postby onlineguy777 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Updated all of my clear context account setting to be the same in all the instances I am using outlook with the clearcontext addin (home and laptop, both registered and my office, still trial version). No toggles selected in the reply menu bar and I have selected "Do not assign Project" for both options under "When messages are moved to a project".

I tested it again and once an email is filed or moved to a project, a project shows up in the upper left hand corner. If I reply to the message, the "Assign a Project" prompt still does not appear. This is what I want, the ability to assign any email, new/reply/forward to a project (filing it to a folder). The only difference now is the reply is not "autofiled" in the project folder. It is filed in the sent folder. However, I was never prompted as to where I wanted it to be file (unassigned would go to the sent folder which is the default which I want or to another project folder if I selected one).

Is my request of having the ability to file any email that unique? Am I missing something? Doesn't seem like it should be this hard. I love the interface of the product and clearly it does a bunch more than I need it to. At this point, I just want an email filing add-in that I understand how it operates. Once I have this baseline, I will tinker with the other options. Thanks for your help so far. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
onlineguy777

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:23 pm

I think the mismatch to what ClearContext does and what you are expecting is the "stickiness" of assigning a Project/Folder to a message conversation. When such a relationship exists, ClearContext assumes that one will want to continue filing to the assigned Folder from that point forward, and does not confirm continuing that action for future messages. Once a Project/Folder relationship is established with a message conversation, one needs to proactively change it.

While it is not currently possible to force ClearContext to query you for choosing a new Project/Folder when a message conversation already is associated to one, it may help if you turn off the filing suggestions in the UI/Toolbar tab in Options, so that is is more obvious when messages conversations are associated with a Project/Folder.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support