The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Need uninstall info (Cannot uninstall via Control Panel)

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Need uninstall info (Cannot uninstall via Control Panel)

Postby Tiggr » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:34 am

Long story really short - something messed up part of my registry and I've lost a whole load of uninstall info - including the info for Clear Context. My long term solution is to reinstall Vista (and upgrade to 64 bit whilst I'm at it) from scratch which I plan to do in the next two weeks - however I still have a short term issue:

I need to change my UAC settings but if I do then I'll loose my Clear Context functionality. So I need to uninstall Clear Context first, update my UAC settings and reinstall it.

Question is, how do I uninstall it? I tried things like using /uninstall or /c:uninstall on the setup command line but no dice.

Can someone please shed light on how I can manually uninstall Clear Context OUTSIDE of the 'Programs and Features' applet in the control panel?

Many thanks in advance

T
Tiggr

Postby brad » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:28 am

Brad Meador
brad

Postby Tiggr » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:52 am

Brad,

Thanks for the reply, however before I run it I want to be clear as to what I need to happen; I need to uninstall IMS Clear Context from my PC - not just remove the MSI entries from the install database in the registry. It seems to me that this tool will do the later and remove the entries from the registry.

With the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, you can remove a program's Windows Installer configuration information

and

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility does not perform the following functions:
• Remove Windows Installer
• Remove files of any programs that are installed by Windows Installer, such as Microsoft Office 2003

Now if doing so will allow me to then re-install IMS over the top of the existing copy then that's fine but I don't want to end up in a worse situation than I'm currently in.

Like I said earlier the aim of this is to get IMS uninstalled so I can flick the UAC settings back over to my preference then re-install IMS directly afterwards.

Currently If I try to run the setup program It prevents me from continuing by informing me the UAC settings have changed.
Tiggr

Postby brad » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:04 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood. Have you recently changed your UAC or user account rights? Assuming yes, change them back to what they were when you originally installed IMS and then try uninstalling via Programs. This might include turning UAC on amd/or changing your User rights from Admin to Standard.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby Tiggr » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:15 pm

Brad,

And therein lies the problem - I can't. Hence the posting. What I need is the information on how to manually uninstall IMS from my laptop.

To re-iterate - i'm unable to use the 'Programs and Features' applet in the Control Panel to uninstall IMS Clear Context (along with 30 odd + other programs). They are listed but I get no uninstall/repair option, nor can I double click on the entry to invoke the installer. This is due to missing info in the registry.

Normally I'd go through and look for something like unwise.exe or uninstall.exe in the Program Files folder but it looks like IMS does not create such a folder.

I have changed the UAC settings back to what they were (which has allowed the Clear Context toolbar to re-appear) but the setup program still won't allow me to proceed.

So what I need to know is how to manually uninstall IMS using the command line.

T
Tiggr

Postby brad » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:59 pm

I have sent you additional instructions via email.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby Tiggr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:33 am

Brad,

Superb - that did the trick!

Many thanks for your help and time on this.

T
Tiggr

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support