The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Not filtering when OutLook 2007 is starting

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Not filtering when OutLook 2007 is starting

Postby smanning » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:53 am

I was off for a week, so the email collected on the exchange server. When I got back into the office and started Outlook 2007, it did not filter any of the email it downloaded during the initial sync with exchange.

But once everything was sync (i.e. later in the day) CC started to filter new emails OK , but it did not re-filter the emails that were downloaded during the sync with exchange.

Also I brought up the "autoassign manager" and run a few filters "File immediately" and "apply rule to existing inbox" turned on, but it would not filter the email msg that were downloaded in the initial sync.

Thanks
Scott
Scott Manning
smanning

Postby brad » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:57 am

Scott:

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to. Do you mean that messages were not color-coded/scored? Assuming that's the case, what happens when you reboot and restart Outlook? Are the messages processed? How bout if you drag a message out of the Inbox into another folder, then back into the Inbox?

Thanks for the additional information.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby smanning » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:44 am

The problem was when I started outlook in the morning, the "Categoies" field in the Inbox view was not filled in with the topic and in some rules I have it set to move the email into the respective folder and this also did not happen. So when I started Outlook in the morning and it started to download all of the emails, it just dumped them into the inbox without placing a topic to them or filing them into the respective folder.

During the day while I had outlook open, the CC product worked perfectly. It assigned topics to the emails and filed thoses that should have been filed.

I am purely guessing that Outlook started downloading the emails before starting the add-ons, but this is just a guess.

Thanks for your help
Scott
Scott Manning
smanning

Postby brad » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:34 am

The description you give indicates that the messages initially received were not processed by IMS for some reason. Did either of these make a difference?

What happens when you reboot and restart Outlook? Are the messages processed? How about if you drag a message out of the Inbox into another folder, then back into the Inbox?

Thanks for your patience as we troubleshoot.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby smanning » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:12 pm

I dragged an email from the inbox into one of the mailboxes that was setup for the rule and then back into the inbox without any affect. The category on this email did not change.

On the reboot, I have not tried this yet as I am not getting enough emails this week for the exchange server to collect while it is rebooting. I will leave the PC off for the weekend and see what it looks like Monday.

If you would like, I can create a camtasia movie and email it directly to you.
Scott Manning
smanning

Postby brad » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:49 pm

Scott:

Sorry I wasn't clear about what I wanted you to try. There is no need to wait for messages to build up while offline. Assuming there are messages stuck in your Inbox from the first time you saw this problem, does a reboot/restart cause those messages to be be processed as you expect?

Thanks.
Brad Meador
brad

Me Too!

Postby cercph » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:35 pm

I'm seeing the error as well. When I launch Outlook 2007 initially, all new messages are not color-coded and at the bottom of my display which is sorted by CC-DisplayDay. These have a CC-DisplayDay of "none". If I immediately shut down Outlook and then restart, they are processed correctly.
cercph

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:42 pm

Do you use another device to access your mail file? Are you running other add-ins in Outlook or a gadget or other process that accesses your email?

I suspect that the issue is that Outlook is not completely closing when you shut it down. This could be due to a PDA or other process holding it open. The next time you close Outlook, right click the task bar at the bottom of the screen, select Task Manager, and navigate to the Processes tab. Is OUTLOOK.EXE listed?
ClearContext Support

Postby cercph » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:51 pm

I do access email from my cell phone, but that goes directly to the Exchange Server rather than my computer.

In terms of processes not shutting down correctly, I notice this most often when I first boot up my computer in the morning.
cercph

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:36 pm

Do you know what version of Exchange you are running against? If you leave Outlook running overnight I assume the problem goes away?
ClearContext Support

I'm having the same problem with Outlook 200

Postby jtakatsuka » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:33 pm

Every time I start outlook "fresh" (e.g. after reboot, first thing in the morning, etc.), the inbox does not appear to get processed. My existing messages are color-coded and prioritized correctly, but any new messages are shown at the top of the message list, in order received, all in black (assuming this means not processed). If I quit outlook and restart, everything works fine.

I've got my workaround, but it's not ideal ;-). Any input on how to resolve?
jtakatsuka

Postby brad » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:55 am

jtakatsuka: Please tell me more about your environment - what version of Windows and Outlook do you run? Do you access Exchange online or cached Exchange mode? What other add-ins do you have installed? Do you access your account via a PDA or other mobile device? Of so, which one?

If you leave Outlook running overnight does the problem go away?

Thanks.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby jtakatsuka » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

Brad - Using Outlook 2007 SP1, Vista Enterprise SP1, and Exchange 2007 in cached mode. I use the Microsoft Office Outlook Connector (12.0.4518.1068) and an in-house add-on my company uses to access our CRM. I also access my mailbox via Windows Mobile 5 (activesync).

I haven't tried leaving it running over night, as it's quicker just to quit/reboot (and my inbox is usually to zero at the end of the day ;-) ).

Any insights?

~ Jim
jtakatsuka

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:12 pm

I expect that this is some sort of conflict with your mobile device. If you leave Outlook running overnight, I'm fairly certain the issue will go away.

We are looking into ways to handle un-scored messages more effectively in our next major release. Until then, to workaround either restart Outlook or drag the affected messages out of the Inbox and back into it.

Thanks for the detail and feedback.
ClearContext Support

Postby jtakatsuka » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Thanks for the info.

Just out of curiosity, why the recommendation to leavel Outlook running over night?
jtakatsuka

Next

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support