The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Please bring back Delete Upon Reply

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Please bring back Delete Upon Reply

Postby J-SiN » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:32 pm

I could care less about workflow in general but getting rid of the Delete Upon Reply function is something which is causing me to actually do more work with v5 than with v4, and that just seems backwards. Please bring back the Delete Upon Reply feature ASAP or else I will have to downgrade and be stuck on v4 forever! Simplification is great, but simplification by removing functionality which is used seems to be missing the point.
J-SiN

Re: Please bring back Delete Upon Reply

Postby JanP » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:49 pm

+1 Yes, please!
JanP

Postby ClearContext Support » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:24 am

Thanks for the feedback. We are considering options for a future release.
ClearContext Support

Postby esposito » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:47 am

Also in the need of this feature. It removes a lot of unneccesary mails in the topic/project folders.
Would be great if CC remembers this setting on a topic/project level.
If I answer to an lesser importent topic >delete original. If I answer to my boss > file original.

Regards
Marcus
esposito

Postby maulinpshah » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:22 am

Me too. I think I will downgrade until this option is available. It is FAR BETTER than creating a "delete" category. The beauty was in an uncategorized message (or message without a topic) delete could be the default behavior, but it warned you. That was the perfect functionality. BRING IT BACK!!!!
maulinpshah

Postby Francois » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:58 pm

Yes please, bring back Delete Upon Reply!

This is one of my most severe disappointments with v5, and the former feature I miss the most. The idea of an efficient workflow is to process each item only once, keep track of it in a single place, then forget about it, ie: turn an email into a task or appointment and delete it from the mailbox. Now I do have to do more work than before and process items twice. First to address it, then a second time to find again the original and delete it.
What I want to do is process emails efficiently, deleting a maximum of mail after processing, and to only file a minority (as small as I can make it). It seems to me that v5 is going in the opposite direction.

I'll try v5.0.2 for a few weeks to see just big the annoyance is, but this will probably be reason enough to downgrade to v4.
Francois

Postby deva » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:20 pm

Everyone, just posting to let you know that we're listening.

One of the key goals for v5 was to reduce the number of options, confirmation dialogs, and other steps/clicks users faced as they processed their email. We've been successful in achieving that goal for the large majority of our users.

However, since that has resulted in extra steps for those of you who used the Delete Original Message functionality, we're looking into ways that we can add that feature back to a future release. We'll update this thread after we've evaluated a few potential approaches to incorporate that functionality back into our more streamlined v5 UI and workflow process.
deva

Postby prak7121 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:51 pm

I agree, the ability to delete is key.
Handling the email once and if possible deleting it is the best way.....reduces pst file and keeps Outlook lean.
Plus the 3 option button of do nothing, file and delete is gone. That button was indispensable.

What would be really nice and ideal.....have 3 buttons (yes, I know, adding buttons seems non-ideal):
--Send and delete original.
--Send and file original
--Send and leave original.

That would be the "cat's meow".......one click solutions!
I would pay you a small fortune to add those 3 buttons to the menu!

Paul Rak
VeriForm Inc.
Ontario Canada
prak7121

Postby prak7121 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:36 pm

I have a revision to my original request for 3 buttons.

The current version 5.02 would in my opinion benefit greatly from having the option to allow users to set which of the 3 settings, Delete, File and Leave alone, would be the default setting for all replies and forwards of an email.
So for example if the user sets Delete as his/her standard default (out of the 3 choices available) but on the next email clicks File, the next email after that would be already reset to the default Delete the user had set as their default.

Otherwise the user has to change it back to their most commonly used setting.
I would say 90% of emails are File Original......so I personally would have my default set to File Original.

So if on an email I choose Delete, upon starting the next email, the email setting would be reset to my default setting of File Original.

The above would allow me to roll out ClearContext to the rest of my 12 staff.
Right now I know that the fact that ClearContext only defaults to the last setting will cause staff here to complain about the new software. If this setting could be made as per my suggestion above, I can see staff taking to ClearContext.

But if they have to reset the email manually staff will avoid using ClearContext
prak7121

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Thanks for the additional detail, Paul. Though it's too soon to say exactly what form this feature will take for v5.1, we appreciate the suggestions and feedback and will take it into consideration.
ClearContext Support

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:23 am

FYI - Delete Original on reply is available in v5.1.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support