The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

ClearContext v5.0 is Available

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

ClearContext v5.0 is Available

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:19 pm

Details here.
ClearContext Support

Re: ClearContext v5.0 is Available

Postby phil_xian » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:10 pm

Are there any upgrade offers for TWC 4.0 Users ? Functionality is good but another 99$ is too much if you purchased the software once for 100$, don't you think ?
phil_xian

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:51 pm

The $50 upgrade in the link above is available for TWC users in addition to the main version of ClearContext.
Scott - CC Support

Postby slubetkin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:39 pm

Is there a link where older versions of CC can be downloaded? I want to go back to version 4.x for a while to see if 5.x is causing some problems with Active Sync on my cell phone.
slubetkin

Postby mkelley1 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:50 am

I am very disappointed in CC. The popup in outlook this morning did not mention that I would have to purchase the 5.0 update. I have installed other updates and it was the same popup.

Now I have a trial version of 5.0 and I am unable to revert back to 4.0 and feel as though this has been a ruse to get me to pay for something twice.
mkelley1

Postby Scott - CC Support » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:56 am

mkelley:

Thanks for your feedback. I apologize if you feel tricked as that was not our intent. We sent you a link to the v4 download earlier this morning with instructions for downgrading. Please let me know if you have not received it.

FYI - This is the page that you were directed to by the popup:

http://www.clearcontext.com/update4x.html

Any feedback you can provide on how we can make this page clearer is appreciated.
Scott - CC Support

Postby fischermatthewj » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:47 am

[Cross-posted from CC blog]

Have to say, I find $50 to be a significantly higher price than I'd expect to pay for a $100 piece of software.

I'll grant that the multiple-machine/multiple-config support probably cost quite a bit to develop, and will cost more to maintain, and that seems appropriate to price at a premium.

IMAP support -- which seems to be a very frequently requested feature -- would similarly be worth a premium, IMO.

Other than multi-machine, however, the changes here seem to me to be largely UI improvements or incremental functionality, rather than truly new functionality. As such, they seem much more an update, rather than an upgrade, and therefore seem extremely expensive at $50.

But because it's all bundled as a single upgrade, those of us who don't care about multi-machine support are stuck with a tough choice.

Any chance you will consider rolling the non-multi-machine features back to v4.x?
fischermatthewj

Postby deva » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:14 pm

As you mention, big parts of the v5 upgrade are "behind the scenes" infrastructure improvements. Multi-machine and multiple datastore support are two of the biggest improvements that involved a lot of engineering effort. While we don't have IMAP support in 5.0, these improvements were made with IMAP and other email transports in mind. We're currently working on IMAP and hope to provide IMAP support in a future 5.x release. We'll post updates here.

5.0 features a number of significant feature improvements like the new one-click filing and suggestion system, but there's a lot more to come in ClearContext v5. Version 5.1 is focused on enhancing the project management capabilities and dashboard. It will include a new dashboard design and lots of new task and project management features. Version 5.2 is about making automated message processing much smarter and will include a lot of improvements to AutoAssign and related features.

We're including both 5.1 and 5.2 for users who purchase the $50 upgrade to v5.0 now - we're confident that these improvements will provide a huge amount of value for all of our users, even if you're not going to be taking advantage of capabilities like multi-machine support. Hopefully this makes your choice a lot less tough!

As far as v4 goes, we're still supporting that release, but don't plan to make any feature enhancements to that version.
deva

Postby fischermatthewj » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:16 am

If you assured that the $50 purchase would make users eligible for IMAP support, I'd buy it today. I suspect a lot of other fence-sitters would, too.

Otherwise, I think it's a wait-and-see for me (and probably many others who don't need multiple store/multiple machine support). Having CCIMS perform better/faster would be nice, but, to be honest, it's actually pretty darned fast already. So, you know, nice work! :)
fischermatthewj

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:23 am

ClearContext Support

Postby tel1cxm » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:05 am

Hi,
Sorry if this is not the best palce to ask these questions.

I am assessing whether we can use ClearContext in out environment and need to know some technical details about the product:
1. Does the product depend on the availability of a PST file? For instance, if we do not allow the addition of files to a PST file will the product still work?
2. Does the product depend on the Outlook archiving feature? For instance, if we do not allow Outlook archiving to occur will the product still work?
3. Is it correct that the product depends on an additional database that contains the pointers that thread the Outlook elements, whose links are the basis for the Outlook views? Does the product create any other files or have dependency on any other files beyond that of the Outlook product itself?
4. Does the product rename or copy emails in any way or move or copy them to a location other than Outlook's default locations?
5. We plan to lock down PSTs (can't add to them) and not allow Outlook archiving. In addition, we intend to expire our email content and remove email greater than 1 year old. If these controls are implemented, what will be the impact to the product?
6. We intend to implement the controls discussed for email compliance reasons (legal and regulatory control). Has any opinion been derived as to your product's integration with or ability to co-exist side-by-side with such email compliance restrictions?
Thanks,
Carolyn
tel1cxm

Postby Scott - CC Support » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:09 am

Thanks for your questions:

1. Does the product depend on the availability of a PST file? For instance, if we do not allow the addition of files to a PST file will the product still work?

The product does not require the ability to add PST files to function.

2. Does the product depend on the Outlook archiving feature? For instance, if we do not allow Outlook archiving to occur will the product still work?

ClearContext does not use or rely on the archiving function.

3. Is it correct that the product depends on an additional database that contains the pointers that thread the Outlook elements, whose links are the basis for the Outlook views? Does the product create any other files or have dependency on any other files beyond that of the Outlook product itself?

ClearContext stores this information in a hidden element within the Outlook mail file itself. It does not require an outside database for this function.

4. Does the product rename or copy emails in any way or move or copy them to a location other than Outlook's default locations?

No.

5. We plan to lock down PSTs (can't add to them) and not allow Outlook archiving. In addition, we intend to expire our email content and remove email greater than 1 year old. If these controls are implemented, what will be the impact to the product?

No.

6. We intend to implement the controls discussed for email compliance reasons (legal and regulatory control). Has any opinion been derived as to your product's integration with or ability to co-exist side-by-side with such email compliance restrictions?

There is no conflict between the use of ClearContext and compliance restrictions.
Scott - CC Support

Postby tel1cxm » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks for your answers.

Can you provide any info on how the product may impact the Exchange servers? For instance, the overhead of the additional Outlook views could impact Exchange, especially if the data is not indexed. Can you comment on that?
Thanks,
Carolyn
tel1cxm

Postby Scott - CC Support » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Can you provide any info on how the product may impact the Exchange servers? For instance, the overhead of the additional Outlook views could impact Exchange, especially if the data is not indexed. Can you comment on that?

We expect any increase in overhead to be negligible.
Scott - CC Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support