The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

No Thread ID or Score

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

No Thread ID or Score

Postby subseaguy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:06 pm

Since I installed version 5 there have been no Thread ID's or Scores applied to my email. What's happening? Before I could always use the thread ID to link mismatched threads. This problem really reduces the effectiveness of CC for me.
subseaguy

Re: No Thread ID or Score

Postby Scott - CC Support » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:45 am

These custom fields were removed in v5. See this post for more detail. Also, you may be interested in tips for making v5 work more like v4.
Scott - CC Support

Postby subseaguy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:52 am

Scott,

Thank you for your response. I am profoundly dissappointed in CC and the direction taken in the CC software development. I have now paid for an upgrade that 1) doesn't meet my needs, and 2) has caused a major disruption in my workflow process. Without the threadID and CCTopic view, CC is of marginal use to me. I do hope this is respolved or I will have reconsider my committment to CC.
subseaguy

Postby Scott - CC Support » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:19 am

subseaguy:

I believe with a bit of configuration you will achieve what you desire. Per the post I linked to earlier:

1. Synchronize Projects to Categories to see Projects listed alongside each message (replacement for CC-Topic)
2. Use one of the ClearContext Prioritized views to see messages color-coded by priority

How were you using Thread ID? In v5 we use Outlook's native conversation ID instead and it should serve as a superior replacement.

If this doesn't get what you are looking for, we would appreciate it if you would take a moment to describe what is missing.

Thanks.
Scott - CC Support

Postby subseaguy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:25 am

Scott,

thanks again for the suggestion. I will follow your instructions, evaluate, and get back with you.

Mike
subseaguy

Postby subseaguy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:33 pm

Ok.. I have gone through your instructions. I get that the Outlook Conversation is analagous to the old CC-TopicName. I would assume there is also a unique number associated with the Conversation which can not be changed and is analagous to the old CC-ThreadID. From a practical standpoint, there are some emails which i would like to be part of a particular thread for a complete view of the chain of email's, actions, and appontments. With V4, I could sort on CC-ThreadID and move related emails which needed to be included in the conversation record. Sometimes, Outlook doesn't do a great job of tracking the Conversation thread. Any suggestions for achieving this in V5? If not, is it possible this flexibility will be in a future release?

Without this feature, CC is pretty much relegated to a fancy dashboard which I really don't find very useful. Everything else can be done with Categories and Conversation fields.
subseaguy

Postby swhelband » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:52 am

Mike/Scott

Would just like to add my views to conversation tracking here as well. Am still seeing very inconsistent handling of conversations even after numerious clearing out of my inbox to my archive boxes (so absolutely nothing left over from prior to upgrading). Emails don't get any data in the folder context at all sometimes, or threads simply won't fully file when File Thread is clicked. If the Conversation ID is used to track this, and if what Mike is saying and Outlook doesn't do the greatest of job in tracking conversations with this field, could this be the root of a lot of issues we're seeing here?

(Also, I'm aware I have I know few outstanding supports requests from you to email you some messages around this same(ish) topic but been a little crazy here recently, so bear with me :-) )

Personally, I have to reluctantly admit handling of threads/topic selection, in my view, is vastly inferior in V5 than it was in V4. My CC Topics were setup in V4 and I could literally click "File Thread" with confidence that I'd know where the message would be filed. With V5, I don't have the same level of confidence and find myself sometimes thinking, "Why did it guess that Topic? That makes no sense!"

Simon
swhelband

Postby deva » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Simon,

You touch on a couple of different points.

1) You are correct that some of the issues are due to Outlook not keeping track of the conversation internally as reliably as we expected. We are testing some changes to improve that and hope to do a significantly better job managing that in 5.1. There are tradeoffs between using subject line and Conversation ID to match up emails to the correct threads and we are trying to come up with the best possible solution utilizing the information available to us in Outlook.

2) The suggestions algorithm is heavily weighted towards the last folders you used for a given contact. If you tend to file emails from the same contacts into many different folders, or receive most of your emails from new contacts, you may want to turn off the one-click filing suggestions so you are presented with the project selector (and list of potential folders) when you hit File for unassigned messages. configuring-v5-to-work-more-like-v4-t2615.html
deva

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support