The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

ClearContext functions not avail of items in subfolders

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

ClearContext functions not avail of items in subfolders

Postby tallKewlOnez » Mon May 08, 2006 9:39 am

I am unable to use ClearContext functions (set as task etc.. ) because the functions are greyed out for mail in subfolders...

i.e. I have items moved to folders in outlook via rules automatically, I want to be able to use those folders for processing emails, but the clearcontext functions are greyed

Thanks
tallKewlOnez

Postby brad » Mon May 08, 2006 10:24 am

As long as you are working within your main Personal Folders file, the functions should be available on all messages that have been processed by ClearContext (i.e. received since ClearCohntext was installed).

I suspect that the messages you can't act on have never been processed by CC and therefore do not have thread records associated with them. Perhaps these are messages that were in these folders prior to installing?

Please let me know if this answers your question.[/list]
Brad Meador
brad

Postby tallKewlOnez » Mon May 08, 2006 10:57 am

Not so for me. This message was recevied this morning, and i had CC installed Friday.

Here are details of out setup..

Office 2003
Exchange 2003
tallKewlOnez

Postby brad » Mon May 08, 2006 11:38 am

Please bear with me while I ask some questions:

1. Is the folder a ClearContext Topic folder?
2. Is the folder located in your main Exchange data store?
3. How did the message get there? (You filed it? AutoAssign Rule? Outlook Rule?)
4. Do all of the messages in that folder have the same problem?
5. If you open the message and look at the header, is there a gray bar that says "You have made changes to another version of this item..."
6. What other Add-ins do you use?
7. Do you use a Blackberry or other PDA to access your mail file?
8. Do you have ClearContext installed on more than one computer accessing the same mail file?
9. Does the problem occur while you are offline, online, or in cached exchange mode?

Thanks.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby tallKewlOnez » Mon May 08, 2006 12:48 pm

1 The folder is a pre-existing sub-folder of my inbox
2 Folder is in my Exchange main store
3 Outlook Rule ( Apply this rule after the message arrives, with erniev in the senders address move to the ernie folder )
4 All messages in thsis folder revceived after install of clear context ) have this problem
5 No
6 None
7 No
9 No
Other people in my office are also trying this product out and are experiencing the same issue
tallKewlOnez

Postby brad » Mon May 08, 2006 12:57 pm

Here's what I think is happening - Outlook rules are moving the message out of the Inbox before CC has the chance to process the message. If CC doesn't process the message, then the toolbar functions are disabled.

Two things to try:

1. Adjust the Delay Processing slider under ClearContext > Options > Scoring Options all the way to the left (Less). We will apply our changes to the message immediately on receipt. There is still a chance, however, that Outlook's processing will beat us and move the message before we process.

2. Use ClearContext AutoAssign rules to move the message rather than Outlook rules. For more detail on AutoAssign see our User Guide.

Please let me know if one of these helps.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby tallKewlOnez » Mon May 08, 2006 1:19 pm

Delaying the processing did not help.
If I use the AutoAssign function, does that not only apply to ClearContext?
- this would be a problem since I / We often login to our email via Webmail and need the folders
tallKewlOnez

Postby brad » Mon May 08, 2006 3:23 pm

You are correct - if you need your rules to work on the server (even when Outlook is closed) then using ClearContext AutoAssign rules will not work for you.

Now that I understand the problem completely, I'm afraid that #1 will not work for you either. Basically, because you have server based rules that move messages to other folders before they hit the Outlook client's Inbox, these messages are not being processed by ClearContext. Currently, the only way to ensure that a received message is processed by CC is to have it pass through the Outlook client Inbox.

As a workaround, you could manually move the messages in your alternate folder back into the Inbox, allow CC to process them, then move them back from the Inbox to your alternate folder. I realize this likely eliminates the reason for the rule in the first place.

We hope to build functionality into the product that either automatically or manually processes messages in folders outside the Inbox, but I can't estimate at this time when that will be available.

Please let me know if I can provide more detail.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support