The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Suggested File Topic/Project stopped working

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Suggested File Topic/Project stopped working

Postby takabanana » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:42 am

For some unknown reason - now the suggested Project (the File button) does not file to the correct Project for messages that DO have projects already assigned to them (as shown by the Categories that are assigned to them).
Any ideas why, and how I could fix this?
This started happening after this morning, Outlook decided to disable ClearContext. I figured out how to re-enable it via the Troubleshooting link.

Also - I would like to request a tool that would "cleanup/fix" Categories to match the correct/current Project location/name.

Also also - if I rename a Project folder, would all of the mails within the Project have its Categories updated with the new Project name and folder location? I need to do a major cleanup/reorganization of my Projects folder structure - and obviously need the Categories to be updated for all of them, and need to make sure that the "File Message" button always chooses the new/updated Project location.
takabanana

Re: Suggested File Topic/Project stopped working

Postby takabanana » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:48 am

It's odd - it's almost like the "File Message" button doesn't recognize the information in the Categories list... it's still suggesting Projects (some or many of them are wrong) even though the message has the correct Category (Project name/location) assigned....

This is happening to many of my messages in my Inbox. This has never happened before this morning..
takabanana

Postby takabanana » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:52 am

Also - when I create a new message to Send - it used to ask me what Project it should be assigned to before it gets sent.
Now it's not even asking...?
takabanana

Postby Scott - CC Support » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:49 pm

It sounds like something funky is going on with your data; potentially related to renaming project folders vs. using the move project function. My guess is that this is the explanation for most of your assignment issues. Please see if this issue continues for messages received after you are finished moving your projects around.

Also also - if I rename a Project folder, would all of the mails within the Project have its Categories updated with the new Project name and folder location? I need to do a major cleanup/reorganization of my Projects folder structure - and obviously need the Categories to be updated for all of them, and need to make sure that the "File Message" button always chooses the new/updated Project location.

For performance reasons, ClearContext only proactively updates category assignments in the Inbox. Once you move a message into a Project folder, CC is not going to touch the category field unless you manually reassign a project to a message in that folder. Please describe how you would like to use the category field in project folders. If all is working as it should, is the category assignment redundant with the folder name?

Also - when I create a new message to Send - it used to ask me what Project it should be assigned to before it gets sent.
Now it's not even asking...?

To ensure that you are asked for a Project assignment every time you send a message that doesn't have a Project already assigned to it, go to ClearContext > Options > Project Options and select "Every time".
Scott - CC Support

Postby takabanana » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:06 pm

There are definitely times when I manually move email messages from one Project folder to another.
But that DOES seem to update the Category assignment to the correct Project folder/name.
The Categories that don't exist anymore (i.e. if the Project folder was renamed or moved) tend to get stuck there. It'd be great if there was some way to "clean these up" and remove them, or fix them (hence the request for a tool that will "fix" all emails' Categories by parsing the current Project folder structure).

I personally don't *use* the Category Field... except to look at it when the message is being viewed in the Inbox. So yes, I expect the Category Assignment to be redundant with either the Folder Name or the Folder Name it SHOULD be (if it's in the Inbox with a thread that is already in a Project folder).... in addition to the "VIP" tag that you add based on who it's from.
This is how I knew that the "File Msg" suggestion was not working for some messages. It had a Category Field (or maybe it was off by a bit... a folder or two - I'll have to check) but was not suggesting (or telling) it as part of its "File Msg" button. This could possibly be a case of "I removed one folder-level for this Project" and I didn't notice it because it was so similar to the actual Project folder structure as stated here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3026

but this is again a reason why a "Fix it" tool would be nice - even if it meant it would run for a long, long time, parsing all emails within the Project Topics folder structure...
takabanana

Postby Scott - CC Support » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks again for the suggestions and feedback. It's on our list for future consideration.
Scott - CC Support

Postby takabanana » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Do you have any suggestions to fix issues like the ones I am having?
i.e. Some way of "cleaning up" ClearContext and the way it's "thinking"? Kinda like "resetting" its brain without losing what I have?
takabanana

Postby Scott - CC Support » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:33 pm

Highlight all messages in a Project folder and re-assign the project name via ClearContext > Message Actions > Assign project to reset all the threads in that folder with the correct Project assignment.
Scott - CC Support

Postby takabanana » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:02 am

Question 1: If I have Tasks and Emails within a Project, what happens when I do this sequence?

1. Manually move emails from one Project Folder to another.
2. Delete the original Project Folder

On a related note, this seems to be a bug: When I do Actions->Move Project, it currently creates the new Project folder, but my messages do NOT get moved - and they stay in the old Project folder. So I have been manually moving them to the new folder, and then deleting the old folder.

I was also curious, what happens to Tasks if they were in the old folder, and that Project folder gets deleted this way? Do the Tasks remain linked to the "old" non-existent Project folder/name location now, which I can re-assign to the new Project name/location via Actions->Move Project?
takabanana

Postby Scott - CC Support » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Question 1: If I have Tasks and Emails within a Project, what happens when I do this sequence?

1. Manually move emails from one Project Folder to another.
2. Delete the original Project Folder

Your email project assignments will be updated, but you may still have tasks that reflect the incorrect project assignment.

On a related note, this seems to be a bug: When I do Actions->Move Project, it currently creates the new Project folder, but my messages do NOT get moved - and they stay in the old Project folder. So I have been manually moving them to the new folder, and then deleting the old folder.

This is by design. Not everyone wants to move their messages in this scenario. If you want to move your messages, manually drag them into the new folder (or use the filing button).

I was also curious, what happens to Tasks if they were in the old folder, and that Project folder gets deleted this way? Do the Tasks remain linked to the "old" non-existent Project folder/name location now, which I can re-assign to the new Project name/location via Actions->Move Project?

In most cases, yes.
Scott - CC Support

Postby takabanana » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks for your help, Scott.

Please throw-in my request for a better "batch" Project Re-Organization tool as I described in the other thread.

-Taka
takabanana

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support