The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Installation Failed (Again!)

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Installation Failed (Again!)

Postby ebyrne » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm attempting to install ClearContext but when I do it first attempts to uninstall a previous installation. (Which I struggled to uninstall, similar to viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2707, but was able to eventually following the instructions from here http://www.clearcontext.com/resources/remove_ims.html.)

Each time, the install asks for the location of the previous installer, which I correctly provide. (I know, since I saved it after my frustration the last time - though I also tried the last couple versions to be sure.) Can you advise if there is a way to skip the uninstall portion of the installation, or otherwise clear the computer so it doesn't look to uninstall?

(And honestly, after so many users have reported similar issues, what is it about your installers that continually fail? Why do you require the previous installers?? Just clear out all the possible registry entries/files from any earlier version for god's sake. If there were a single other competitor that offered a decent deferred button, we wouldn't even be here...)
ebyrne

Re: Installation Failed (Again!)

Postby Scott - CC Support » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:54 pm

ebyrne:

Sorry for the frustration. The issue occurs when the Windows Installer becomes corrupted; usually due to a change in user rights or UAC settings after initial installation.

It sounds like you still need to completely remove the product. Please ensure that, in addition to unregistering and removing the registry entires using the removal process at the top of the remove_ims page, that you also follow directions at the bottom of the page to use the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility to completely remove any vestiges of ClearContext that are in the Windows Installer DB. This is the most important step to remove the corruption so that you can complete your install.

Please confirm that this resolves your issue.
Scott - CC Support

Postby ebyrne » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:29 pm

As noted above, I've tried those instructions several times to no avail.

Eventually, I had to search for ClearContext in the registry and delete all the installer entries. Which really - with a 11 step removal process, a script, and a cleanup utility - probably should have been done already.
ebyrne

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:26 pm

You are correct, they definitely should have been removed in that process. Unfortunately, sometimes parts of the Windows uninstall process outside of our control simply don't function correctly. It's very frustrating for us as well, but we're glad that it sounds like you were able to figure out a solution. Sorry the process was such a pain.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support