The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Where is the main dashboard?

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Re: Where is the main dashboard?

Postby brad » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:39 pm

All - thanks for the feedback. As Deva mentions, we are listening and really appreciate your thoughts.

Theo wrote:
Any work around suggestions of how to get the one view of all emails (inbox and filed) back again?

Theo - how many messages do you typically keep in the Inbox? I'm guessing you have more than a screen-full?

IMO the real answer is to follow the manage phase of our methodology; get messages out of your Inbox and onto your Task List or Calendar. I can't emphasize enough how keeping my Inbox clean has changed my ability to tackle large amounts of work. Once you start filing your messages to your Project folders on a daily basis, there is no longer a compelling need to show messages outside the project folder in a project view.

I know that this is much easier said than done; but the advantages of an Inbox Zero model is well worth the effort.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby Theo » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Trust me I do try for a zero inbox - but never achieve it. This is a time thing rather than a process - each email is only touched once. Hence each email in my inbox simply hasn't been read as my todo list has over 300 items in it - all prioritised on a A0-Z9 basis depending on when I want to do it (and categorised based on activity - which is one of the reasons I love CC). And my calendar is full - next I need to tackle my boss as this is just a case of being totally overloaded. ...... What I'm looking for is CC to help manage this workload and focus in on specific projects one at a time so I don't need to mentally flip from one project to another when I go from one email to another.

Rather smugly ;-) I suggest you check out: http://online.clearcontext.com/users/Theo :-) and you will see that I'm on par with the global average of CC users (had a cracking day 15th Sept - that's what 10 hrs on a train can do for you) with my inbox size. The simply answer is 158 - I have been out with a client for the evening and 25+ have just been downloaded.

Also of the avg 83 emails I get a day only 1 or 2 are what I'd call bacn - I use a gmail account which gets all the facebook, linked in, newsletters and supplier marketing (send it to my work account and we don't do business certainly focuses their minds!). Hence each email is addressed to me in some form (I also filter those CC'd to me).

Hence what I'm trying to do with this dashboard is to focus in on a project - have all the info in the side dashboard (as it currently is) but also have all the emails (either with hide filed on or off) so that I can focus in on that project and not have the rest of my emails get in the way - this is a method of focus and hence work my way through as much as I can in the time I've allocated to a project or processing emails and then move on to the next project or meeting.

I appreciate this isn't a perfect GTD method and I would never suggest a product is tailored for an individual. However appears the lack of all the info on the same dashboard comes up time and again - and of the current dash (which I do like)- email seems to be the only thing missing from the project view. And hence I make my suggestions.

The other scenario is in meetings where content is sent out prior to the appointment - this is easily handled through assignment of a category and filing - however what if people are sending out emails of content during the meeting - need to see both at the same time really helps. Again minor in the grand scheme of things - but this is my use case scenario. The lack of email view in the side dashboard is what I'm missing I'm afraid.

ps - I rave about CC; its a great product and I evangelise about it to others - just trying to help make it even better :-)
Theo

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Another workaround might be to synchronize CC projects to categories (which I personally prefer not to do) and then use a search tool. In WDS and within OL2010, the "category:[project name]" syntax should work. You could keep multiple WDS windows open for each project. The downside is that it's a little bit awkward to have to type out the search syntax, and you have to remember the exact project name.

Another thought; depending on the number of projects you are running, it might be easier to create dedicated search folders for your primary active projects. You can then click on the search folder to see all messages for the project and use the sidebar to view project information.

Thanks for the feedback, Theo.
ClearContext Support

Postby mmatl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:15 pm

carl wrote: The organizer also has a lot of potential, but it really seems to have it's own unique purpose. It's geared towards weekly review and bulk task organization, not actually working on projects. (It has no messages, no contacts, no attachments, no project notes, etc.). I'm sure the development team could put some of the Dashboard elements in there, but they would seem out of place (IMHO).
-Carl

If you are creating tasks/appts from your inbox items, you can do a lot of project management from the organizer. I don't think that it is limited to 'weekly review and builk task organization'. I work at my desk with a 2 screen setup, and keep the organizer open on one of them. I can quickly look at my tasks by project/topic or by context. I can quickly click to sort items by priority, date and/or subject, so that I can work down my list.

I think that it helps me 'zero in' on what I need to focus on. I only wish that there were a few more filter options for the Organizer, so that I can tune out those items that are not meaningful to me at that moment.

As for the Dashboard, I think that the combined view of the of the tasks/notes/emails work pretty well. The one thing that I would enjoy seeing in the Dashboard is a single line listing of tasks/appts, so that I can see more of the listings in the view.
mmatl

Postby carl » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:24 pm

ClearContext Support wrote: Another thought; depending on the number of projects you are running, it might be easier to create dedicated search folders for your primary active projects. You can then click on the search folder to see all messages for the project and use the sidebar to view project information.

The issue with this approach is that many of your users probably have their project folders in a PST file. Outlook search folders are only able to pull data from a single message store. They (unfortunately) cannot display content from both the Inbox and a PST file. Hopefully that will change in a future Outlook release.

-Carl
carl

Postby Scott - CC Support » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:33 am

mmatl wrote:
I think that it helps me 'zero in' on what I need to focus on. I only wish that there were a few more filter options for the Organizer, so that I can tune out those items that are not meaningful to me at that moment.

Specifically, which filter options would you like to see? Thanks!
Scott - CC Support

Postby mmatl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Scott - CC Support wrote:Specifically, which filter options would you like to see? Thanks!

The two things that I would love to see in the Organizer are:
1. A keyword search feature on the subject field in one or all of the view panels
2. A toggle feature to include/exclude sub-projects in the "Review" view
mmatl

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:52 am

mmatl:

Thanks for the feedback. #1 is on our list for a future release. #2 will be in v5.2.
Scott - CC Support

Postby mmatl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:05 pm

Scott - CC Support wrote:mmatl:

Thanks for the feedback. #1 is on our list for a future release. #2 will be in v5.2.

Fantastic!
mmatl

Previous

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support