The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Autofile not autofiling

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Autofile not autofiling

Postby jreyes » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:44 am

I have installed 5.2.

have set up added several autofile rules.

when i apply to inbox in options the messages are autofiled, every morning i have to do this, many messages do nto seem to autofile themselves. just sit in the inbox until i go to autofile options and then press 'apply to inbox' and then they disappear into their respective autofile folders. So know it works, but can't seem to get it to work automatically in all cases. Best i can tell, it's the autofile rules i've added that don't seem to fire unless i invoke them from the autofile options screen.

Have to say i was skeptical about the utility of this versus autoassign, but have found it extremely useful to get the bacn stuff out of sight but not out of mind.
jreyes

Re: Autofile not autofiling

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:40 am

Do you use multiple profiles or multiple inboxes in this Outlook? AutoFile is currently designed to work in a single profile/inbox configuration. If you're only using a single profile and inbox, this shouldn't be happening and we'll have some followup questions.
ClearContext Support

Postby jreyes » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:31 pm

multiple profiles/multiple inboxes?

have one profile and one inbox -- have multiple emails from more than one email address that comes into that inbox but just one inbox.
jreyes

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:35 pm

Do you have AutoAssign rules that might be touching those messages?
ClearContext Support

Postby jreyes » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:44 pm

Yes Most likely for many or most -- most have auto assign as that's how i managed them in the past -- did not file them, but assigned topics to them.

assume you are going to tell me auto assign won' work with autofile enabled?
jreyes

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:00 pm

Rules take precedence in the following order:
1: AutoAssign rules
2: User-created AutoFile rules
3: ClearContext built-in AutoFile rules

If a message has multiple potentially conflicting rules in place, we fire just the first one. Let us know if you think a different approach for this scenario would work better.

I believe this isn't adequately explained in the documentation, we'll get that taken care of.
ClearContext Support

Postby jreyes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:00 am

i would vote for belt and suspenders :)

would suggest that behavior be 1) autoassign the topic to the category field and then autofile it so it makes it easy to file it to permanent project after revising in autofile folders.

as it is, autofile makes a seamless process a bit more cumbersome if i have to then go and attach projects to the autofiled items.

if the behavior you outlined makes me disable autoassign . i think in that case i'd keep the autoassign rules and then manually apply the autofile in options.

would rather see autoassign and then autofile automatically.

thanks
jreyes

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:38 am

Thanks for the feedback. We'll take this specific scenario into account as we enhance the AutoFile and AutoAssign areas.
ClearContext Support

Postby jreyes » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:46 am

much appreciated.

as i said, was skeptical that autofile added anything that asuto assign didnt, but have found it extremely useful to get all the BACN out of the way for review later without being lost in a sea of project folders.
jreyes

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support