The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Beta 5.3.0 bug report -- incorrect autofile domain

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Beta 5.3.0 bug report -- incorrect autofile domain

Postby jreyes » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:23 am

Downloaded beta 5.3.0

The autofile choices by domain isn’t correct

For example I get newsletter from info@zdtech.online.com

The autofile choice gives me two choices

info@zdtech.online.com or online.com

online.com is the incorrect domain

the correct domain should be everything to the right of “@” so the correct choice should be

zdtech.online.com

what is interesting is that if you create an auto-assign rule instead of autofile rulel, autoassign correctly provides zdtech.online.com as the domain – so I know you have this feature correctly implemented in autoassign but not correctly in autofile

kind regards

jesse reyes
jreyes

Re: Beta 5.3.0 bug report -- incorrect autofile domain

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:32 pm

To keep the design simple, domain AutoFile rules are based on the domain (i.e. online.com), but do not include sub-domains (i.e. zdtech). Pending feedback, we may enhance this in the future.
Scott - CC Support

Postby jreyes » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks

but why implement it one way in autofile and another way in autoassign. would seem you'd want the same behavior in both places.

furthermore, wouldn't the domain be zdnet.som, with the subdomain being online.com

if so then the way it's implemented is backwards -- you are autofiling the subdomain and not the domain?

could be wrong here, but autofiling zdnet.com would be right topic and online.com takes you somewhere else?

am i missing something.
jreyes

Postby Scott - CC Support » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:59 pm

When using AutoAssign you can edit the rule, so we include the full information there.

When using AutoFile, you can't edit the rule so we default to the most likely domain.

In the address you describe, online.com is the domain and zdnet is the subdomain. Your confusion arises because ZDNET uses a separate domain to mail from (online.com). A rule filing domain zdnet.com will not file messages from zdnet.online.com, but a rule filing messages from online.com will file messages from zdnet.online.com.

In the vast majority of cases, this is not as confusing. Most companies don't use a subdomain, but when they do, it's from the same domain (i.e. mail.facebook.com).
Scott - CC Support

Postby jreyes » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:02 pm

thanks for clearing up domain/subdomains.

probably isn't a big issue but lets see if there is any other feedback.

thanks for your quick response and comprehensive explanation.

JR
jreyes

Postby nolanlegal » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:20 pm

The autofile by domain is a great feature, but it doesn't seem to recognise country codes. So it treats emails from companyname.com.au (for example) as being from the domain 'com.au' - and if I were to use that, pretty much all of my email would be autofiled!
nolanlegal

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support