The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

V 5.4 Release Candidate

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

V 5.4 Release Candidate

Postby rinkyhinky » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:17 pm

I would really like to see the option to filter out just by "category", not just "context category" in the ClrCntxt Dashboard. I would prefer to see this back where it was in V5.3, at the bottom of the dashboard, not the top. That way I can display my project choice at the top, and category choice at the bottom, (i.e. chose whatever category I prefer, and keep it displayed at the bottom, with the ability to resize the window as you had it in V 5.3).

Although I would agree that often special characters are used to denote Contexts, sometimes they are used to facilitate sorting of categories.

I'm sure hoping you can change this in time for the final V 5.4 release this month. I am preparing to promote your package along with a custom methodology, a blend of GTD, Covey, and a few others ... this would make it much more effective. Actually, I'm feeling quite disappointed, because it the Category Choice at the bottom below worked beautifully, permitting me to focus on something of my choice at all times.

Cheers! ... and keep up the great work!

Marnette
rinkyhinky

Re: V 5.4 Release Candidate

Postby Scott - CC Support » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 am

When you say that you can display your project choice at the top, what are you referring to? Were you filtering the project summary in some way? Please describe in more detail your workflow so that we can better understand how you use this feature to manage your workday. Thanks.
Scott - CC Support

Postby rinkyhinky » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Gosh, I have been so sleep-deprived these days, I'm not making much sense, not to mention short of time ... so sorry about the lengthy request.

After looking at your new version just a little more, it seems that what I'm really missing is the ability to filter or select by "Category" only, (i.e. not just Context Category) in the bottom "Tasks" part of the Dashboard. I'm thinking also that in version 5.3 you could keep the bottom portion in tact whilst viewing project/topic, and I guess, now, contextual data above. My intent is to maintain focus on the category data that I chose at any time, in the bottom right of the screen. That therefore means that the top-selected data appears only in the top, or rather in a resizeable top right window ... that it does not deliberately remove the bottom window. That way, we have a choice as to whether to keep the bottom window in tact, or not.

Also, I've not checked in this version, but I did figure out that by default, if there was no date details in the tasks listed in the bottom right of version 5.3, that the data/tasks sorted alphabetically. This was perfect for my needs, because some of the data did not require dates! I needed them numerically ordered though ... I actually simply put a number at the front of each task subject.

Finally, although you are probably aware of this, the prefixes to the "context" categories, (such as @, !, -), are there merely to faciliate sorting the category names at the top of the category list. Hence, in my case, in your prior version 5.3, I was able to quickly display these context category details, (and maintain them in view), in the bottom right dashboard, when chosing a "Category" filter. In other words, what I had before, I'd love back.

I'm not certain if this is any clearer. If not, I'll try again when I'm rested, over the weekend.

Thanks,
Marnette
rinkyhinky

Postby Scott - CC Support » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:31 am

Thanks for the additional detail, Marnette. We're trying to understand your use case better; can you describe in more detail how you use the summary data at the top of the window in conjunction with the filtered tasks in the bottom of the window to manage your work? Thanks.
Scott - CC Support

Postby rinkyhinky » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:19 am

For starters ... I am much too tired, and again apologize for how poorly I'm explaining myself. ... That said,

The ability to QUICKLY chose a project/folder in the top right is very valuable. I see now that that can be accomplished if the "All Project" filter is left open.

In the bottom right, (i.e. the lower part of the dashboard), I originally KEPT FOCUS on a specific category, for example
" !B " ... for Covey's "Big Rocks". There were other categories I chose to focus on, depending upon my need at certain times of the day. In fact, many of these were identified similarly to GTD's "Context Categories", and I am incorporating GTD into the methodology. But I can no longer maintain focus on these in the bottom right because a filter by just "Category", whatever it may be, (Context, or not), is not available in the bottom right. It is just available in the top, but then I lose the ability to QUICKLY filter through to a Project. This could be solved if the "Category" filter were to return to the bottom. My critical categories all have prefixes of !, @, etc., so they are listed at the top of my category lists, and quickly in view.

... And so, I think the solution is very simple. I (think I) see how things are working. (Again, my brain is only in 1/4-mode). Just return the filter by "Category" to the bottom part of the dashboard. But make sure that whatever is chosen as that particular filter ... sticks. I have no more time now, but I thought that perhaps that filter was changing unexpectedly, for other reasons not of my choice, that is, not because I had selected another filter. Was still planning to check this out. Again, need it to remain static.

Gosh ... I hope I'm a little more clear.
Thanks for your patience.
Marnette
rinkyhinky

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks for the additional feedback. We have added your request to the features list for future consideration.
ClearContext Support

Postby rinkyhinky » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:52 pm

I'm disappointed. The "Category" filter was there in V 5.3. Why not just put it back?
Marnette
rinkyhinky

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:38 pm

It's not as simple as you assume. Thanks again for the feedback.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support