The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Outlook 2010, Exchange, PST's and OST's

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Outlook 2010, Exchange, PST's and OST's

Postby Jeff_D » Wed May 25, 2011 2:37 pm

I am having trouble with email not filing where I specify since adding an Exchange account a couple days ago.

I read here and learned some of my issues:

filing-sent-messages-problem-since-upgrade-to-outlook-2010-t3535.html

though the issue seems to be the combination of Outlook 2010 and Exchange.

I want to get to a complete understanding of what to expect from ClearContext in my current configuration.

Currently, all my sent email is being delivered to their respective sent folders. The exchange email go to its sent folder, and the others all go to the Personal Folders sent folder. Filling does not impact their delivery.

When I set up the Exchange account, CC automatically viewed it as the primary account in Options. Not understanding the impact, I changed the primary back over the the PST file folder, Personal Folders. That is the way it stands now.

The Exchange account is my most important, and the one I wish to accommodate, if I have to pick one or the other.

In light of that, should I make it the primary, and completely un-check the Personal Folders?

Also, in the past, I have treated the sent items filing sort of an archive feature, I don't necessarily need them in the Exchange anymore. Thus can I file from the OST (Exchange) to the PST (Personal Folder)?

So, what is the ultimate set up in my new Exchange environment?

Thank you,

Jeff
Jeff_D

Re: Outlook 2010, Exchange, PST's and OST's

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed May 25, 2011 6:21 pm

There are 2 different primary/default settings to understand. First, is what Outlook considers the default mail account. This can be viewed by going into the Outlook account settings windows and seeing what outlook lists as the default. This default mail file is the one in which ClearContext monitors the Inbox and Sent Items folder for prioritization, AutoFiling/AutoAssign, filing of sent messages, etc. Given this, it sounds like you want Exchange as your default within Outlook.

Within ClearContext Options, the primary mailfile is the one which ClearContext files to by default. You should set this to whichever mail file you do most of your filing to. You can certainly opt to file your Exchange messages to your PST files, that is one thing that ClearContext easily enables you to do.
ClearContext Support

Postby Jeff_D » Wed May 25, 2011 7:44 pm

Thank you for your answer.

Should I expect not to get proper filing results (the major reason I use CC) in the "off" mail account?

By the way, the Exchange account has 1 email address, the other (pst file) has 5 email addresses.

Jeff
Jeff_D

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed May 25, 2011 9:31 pm

You should be able to file with no problems from one mail file to any another mail file. The main differences with the primary filing mail file are that when you type in a new folder, it will default to create that folder in the primary mail file, and only the primary mail files lets you set a filing root other than the root of the data file (for example you can set filing to be relative to the Inbox or any other folder)
ClearContext Support

Postby Jeff_D » Thu May 26, 2011 1:44 pm

OK, so I have my exchange file as the primary in Outlook, and my local PST file as primary in CC.

When replying to an email received outside the Exchange file, and manually searching for and selecting a folder to assign the response to, which is also outside the exchange file, the reply is in fact saved to the sent folder for the environment outside the exchange account.

Is this expected behavior?

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff_D

Postby Jeff_D » Thu May 26, 2011 2:49 pm

And by the way, the emails misdirected to the sent folder in fact have the proper conversation assigned, its an easy click to get them filed, but a step I would prefer not to live by forever.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff_D

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu May 26, 2011 4:44 pm

It is the expected behavior for Outlook to save the sent message to the mail file associated with that account. I don't believe Outlook can be configured to save the sent messages elsewhere by default, so for now you will have to manually file from the sent messages folder in other accounts. You should be able to file all the sent messages in one step though - if you select all the messages in the sent folder and press the File Msg button, only the ones with a Project assigned will be filed.
ClearContext Support

Postby Jeff_D » Fri May 27, 2011 5:42 am

I'm afraid this is not possible: "You should be able to file all the sent messages in one step though - if you select all the messages in the sent folder and press the File Msg button, only the ones with a Project assigned will be filed." Though messages I intended to file and assigned a project to and they were sent to the sent items instead have the correct project assigned, random emails in the sent folder that a project was not assigned at email sending end up there with totally off topic project names, so I would be sending emails into projects that should not be there.

So the environment outside Exchange, if I have Exchange set as primary in Outlook, will not file, even if I select the proper project before sending?

Is this something that can be changed in ClearContext behavior, and if so do you plan to do so?

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff_D

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri May 27, 2011 8:14 am

Only the messages that you have explicitly set a project actually are assigned a project and will be filed. Those emails that show with a File Msg button with a question mark in a green circle are just suggestions that won't be committed unless you actually accept the suggestion. You can test my suggestion on filing the sent message by selecting a message that you know you assigned the project to, and one that has an "off" project name and pressing the file msg button and seeing that only one will be filed. I don't have an estimate when handling sent messages from multiple accounts might be addressed.
ClearContext Support

Postby Jeff_D » Fri May 27, 2011 10:05 am

I thought that might be the expected behavior with the question mark, but that is not my experience.

I went back to the sent folder of the exchange account, deleted all mail that had projects assigned, all incorrectly, and left the folder with about 8 emails all with question marks by the project folder.

Highlighting 1 email and hitting the file button in fact sent the email to the project, even though there was a question mark. In addition, though it did not file any other emails, it did remove the question mark from some of them, leaving them with an assigned project that was wrong.

I sure would like to get to at least where you stated, but am afraid that for now I will again have to may more attention to my sent items folder.

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff_D

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri May 27, 2011 11:10 am

that is the expected behavior when you press file on a suggestion - you are confirming the project and filing. However, if you select emails with a mix of assigned and suggested projects, only the assigned messages will be filed with the initial click.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support