The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Newbie issues

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Newbie issues

Postby Merk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:59 am

I recently installed CC and cannot figure out how to file outgoing mail into the Sent Items folder. Sometimes I don't want to keep an email. I want to delete the original I received and have my reply go to Sent Items. But CC only seems to allow me to file into a project folder. Suggestions?

Also, I am running at trial version of CC, comparing it to SimplyFile. If anybody has any thoughts as to the superiority of CC, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

Merk
Merk

Re: Newbie issues

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:50 am

If you press the delete original option in the toolbar while replying to your email, the original message will be deleted. If the message conversation was not previously assigned to a Project, your reply will be saved to the Sent Messages folder, otherwise if you had previously filed messages from that conversation to a Project folder, your reply will be saved to that Project folder.

For just filing, SimplyFile may be comparable to ClearContext. However, filing is only one aspect out of many other areas that ClearContext handles such as Project organization and status, message workflow, automated filing, statistics and message/Project context.

Check out the product overview page for a description of some of these other features: http://www.clearcontext.com/pro/
ClearContext Support

Postby Merk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks for the reply. Let me make sure I understand. If I exchange substantive, project-related mail with someone, those emails get filed automatically right where I want them. But if the same chain evolves into "Did you see the game last night" or "Wanna go to lunch" with the attendant short responses, those emails will also be automatically filed? I hear what you are saying about how to delete the original, but is sounds like all my replies get filed automatically. How to I avoid cluttering my project folders with junk and filing only those items that are of some substance?
Merk

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:23 pm

If you no longer want your replies filed and associated with a project, press the Project: <project name> button on the toolbar while you are composing your message and then press the Clear button. From that point forward, further emails in that conversation that are sent or received will no longer be associated with that project.
ClearContext Support

Postby Merk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:45 pm

I understand that the procedure you describe works if I want to affect all emails in a conversation. But suppose I only want to affect a single email? How do I simply prevent that email from being autofiled?
Merk

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:49 pm

You can unselect the "file this email" button in the toolbar. Note however that the setting for this button is sticky, and will remain for your next replied message. You will need to remember to re-enable it to start filing your sent messages again.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support