The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Autoassign: a couple of suggestions.

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Autoassign: a couple of suggestions.

Postby rcollings » Sun May 01, 2011 4:20 am

I have been using Autofile for a couple of weeks now and it is proving useful for dealing with those lower priority emails. I still use AutoAssign for those emails that I still want to check in my inbox before filing.

There are a couple of features for Autofile which would be good to see in AutoAssign:
  1. the ability to pick up the 'on behalf of' email address - some of the emailing houses use a variable main email address but keep the on behalf of email address constant for a given newsletter - if you set the 'on behalf' email address in the AutoAssign rule then CC appears to be able to detect emails which have this address but when you use the AutoAssign button it displays the main (not sure what the rightt term is) email address in the dialog box where you set up the rule. Could this be changed to display the 'on behalf of' email address (or both - so that one can choose)
  2. faster processing of AutoAssign rules when clearing a backog. Autofile is commendably fast when you set a new rule for moving all the other emails with that address to the specified Autosign group. Autofile is painfully slow. Can whatever technique you use for moving AutoFile emails be also uses for AutoAssign

Thanks
Richard
London, UK
CC V6.0.1+ Outlook 2010 + Windows 7 + POP3
rcollings

Re: Autoassign: a couple of suggestions.

Postby ClearContext Support » Sun May 01, 2011 10:52 am

Ultimately, the goal is to bring most of the AutoAssign capabilities into AutoFile and retire the AutoAssign feature. I would think that the 'on behalf of' capabilities would apply to the unified feature. The performance on applying rules to existing Inbox items may vary depending on the query parameters. AutoAssign examines more message parameters than AutoFile, which is one of the reasons it takes longer to run.
ClearContext Support

Postby rcollings » Sun May 01, 2011 2:27 pm

If you do bring the two together, then I would not want to lose the ability to assign projects and to leave the email in the inbox which are key elements of the AutoAssign capability and which were one of the main reasons for choosing ClearContext all those years ago. It is much easier to review emails in the box and then file them than it is look in lots of different folders. AutoFile is good for those emails that I only want to look at occasionally but AutoAssign remains very important to me.
Richard
London, UK
CC V6.0.1+ Outlook 2010 + Windows 7 + POP3
rcollings

Postby renlrenl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Absolutely agree that current AutoAssign functionality is far better than that of AutoFile. Please don't get rid of the ability to assign an incoming email automatically to any Project... From what I understand, Autofile only has the ability to file email into one of eight filing groups. Unless you are planning to merge the two functions into one and keep the broad AutoAssign functionality, please don't dumb down learContext by getting rid of AutoAssign.
renlrenl

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support