The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

How to store Topics immediatly under "Personal Folders&

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

How to store Topics immediatly under "Personal Folders&

Postby BeeryHolstein » Tue May 31, 2005 6:02 am

Hello,

I would like ClearContext Topics to be listed "flat" under Personal folders rathen than as sub folders to "ClearContext Topics". How can I do this?

Thanks,
Beery

XP SP2, Outlook 2003
BeeryHolstein

Changing Topic Folder Location

Postby brad » Tue May 31, 2005 9:18 am

Beery -

It is possible to change the Topic Folder location, but it is not possible to make the root of Personal Folders the location. All topic folders need to exist under a single folder. So, if you wanted to change the location of these folders to Personal Folders\Topics or Personal Folders\Inbox you could do that. For more detail see the Topic section of our User Guide.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby Rich » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:45 am

Why?

Is this some weird limitiation of the Outlook API, or an arbitrary constraint?

I have a .pst called "Topics". Do I really have to create, and then navigate around, a dummy root folder "Dummy" just to get to my topics?
Rich

Postby brad » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:29 am

ClearContext Topic folders are special folders. We monitor them at all times so that we can detect when a message is moved into the folder and assign topics to the message thread accordingly. We require one central topic folder so that we know which folders to monitor. Defining the root as the ClearContext Topic folder could have an adverse impact on system performance as we try to monitor all message activities throughout the datastore. We have no plans to support setting the root as the ClearContext Topic folder in the near term, but I am adding your request to our features list for future consideration.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby Rich » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:39 am

Thanks.

I have to store my mail outside of my exchange folders because of my company's insanely small space allowance. So I need to put them in a topics folder, but don't want to store anything else in there.

Seems like you could allow the root option with a big warning about system performance and let the user decide.
Rich

Postby brad » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:14 am

Rich:

See this post for more information on changing your Topic Folder location and avoiding your company's mail file size restrictions.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support