The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Moving Autofile folders to different Outlook file

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Moving Autofile folders to different Outlook file

Postby rcollings » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:03 pm

I note that in V6 it is possible to locate the Autofile folders in an Outlook file different to the one that contains the Inbox.

All my Autofile folders are currently in the same file as my Inbox. It would be good to move them to a different file but I don't want to loose my existing rules.

Is this possible and what are the steps that I need to take to make the move.

Thank you

Richard
Richard
London, UK
CC V6.0.1+ Outlook 2010 + Windows 7 + POP3
rcollings

Re: Moving Autofile folders to different Outlook file

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:13 am

Moving the AutoFile location in ClearContext Options should not affect your existing rules at all. Once you change the location, they will start filing to the new location.

To change the location:
1) Go to ClearContext->Options->AutoFile and change the mail file location you would like to use
2) Restart Outlook
3) When using alternate mail files, AutoFile files to the "/ClearContext AutoFiled" folder in the root folder of that file. You can either wait for AutoFile to automatically create the folder when it is first needed, or you can create it yourself
4) Optionally, you can move the old AutoFile folders to the new location by dragging and dropping them within Outlook
ClearContext Support

Postby rcollings » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks for this. Just thinking about this, I am wondering about creating a new data file just for my Auto Filed stuff - just to keep things clean.

Is there any downside to this?

If not and assuming I want to move my existing Autofile folders to the new data file, is the sequence:
0a) Create Data File
0b) Add it to the list of active files in the ClearContext Options > Configuration tab
0b) Move the ClearContext Autofiled folder and all its sub-folders from the Inbox to the Root of the new data file
and then continue with your step 1 below.

Thanks
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:47 pm

There shouldn't be any disadvantage to a data file dedicated to your AutoFiled messages, aside from having to manage the extra mail file.

Your steps listed to add a separate AutoFile mail file sound fine.
ClearContext Support

Postby rcollings » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:39 pm

Just a quick note to say that I finally got round to doing this and it has freed up a massive amount of space in my main Outlook.pst file. Highly recommended to anybody who still has their autofile folder in the main pst file.
Richard
London, UK
rcollings

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support