The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

ClearContext is causing Outlook to be slow to start

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

ClearContext is causing Outlook to be slow to start

Postby MadMrMax » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:47 pm

A very weird thing for me -- I'm setting up CC (5.4.5) on a new computer (Windows 8, 64bit), new installation of 32-bit Office 2013 (Office 365 connected, cache mode, download all). I'm finding for some reason CC is taking 1/2 a minute or sometimes a whole minute to startup. Outlook actually disabled it one time when it took a whole minute to start up.

Since this is a brand new Outlook profile and OST file (I did let Outlook fully download my OST data) I didn't think about dunning scanpst type of thing. I even have troubleshooted by recreating the profile and OST again.

I enabled advanced logging and can see where CC is spending its time during startup:

Code: Select all
7/11/2013 9:26:09 PM
INFO: (PROGRAM, Connect.cpp, 804)
FinishCCStartup: checking for unprocessed messages
INFO: (PROGRAM, Connect.cpp, 807)
FinishCCStartup: starting scheduler
INFO: (PROGRAM, Connect.cpp, 815)
FinishCCStartup: attaching to explorer
7/11/2013 9:26:10 PM
INFO: (PROGRAM, Connect.cpp, 853)
FinishCCStartup: checking reg and version status
7/11/2013 9:26:24 PM
INFO: (PROGRAM, Managers\AccountManager.cpp, 952)
GetEmailAddressFromIMailUser: GetProps
7/11/2013 9:26:25 PM
INFO: (PROGRAM, Managers\AccountManager.cpp, 967)
GetEmailAddressFromIMailUser: addrtype = EX
7/11/2013 9:26:25 PM
INFO: (PROGRAM, Managers\AccountManager.cpp, 983)
GetEmailAddressFromIMailUser: exch addr = /o=exchangelabs/ou=exchange administrative group (fydibohf23spdlt)/cn=recipients/cn=[cut]-55760-[cut]

In this case it was almost 20 seconds. Other cases it is 500ms (this from looking in event viewer logs that Outlook creates).

On my other machine I am not seeing any start up delay. I've rebooted both machines and they are both using a wired network connection, just to try and get on the same base.

Any thoughts on why startup would be slow in this case?
thanks,
mark
MadMrMax

Re: ClearContext is causing Outlook to be slow to start

Postby MadMrMax » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:59 pm

For what it's worth, I did send a support request. I tried restarting Outlook again just now and this is what is entered in the Event log:
Code: Select all
Outlook disabled the following add-in(s):

ProgID: ClearMail.Connect
GUID: {53242DC8-F20A-4382-8649-F1728E185100}
Name: ClearContext
Description: ClearContext For Outlook
Load Behavior: 3
HKLM: 0
Location: c:\users\<<username>>\appdata\local\clearcontext\clearcontext information management system\clearmail.dll
Threshold Time (Milliseconds): 1000
Time Taken (Milliseconds): 5031
Disable Reason: This add-in caused Outlook to start slowly.
Policy Exception (Allow List): 0

-mark
MadMrMax

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:44 am

We've responded to your email. It may be that the offline address book is not downloaded.
ClearContext Support

Postby MadMrMax » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks. There are some infrastructure issues keeping me from download the OAB. Once that is resolved, the OAB downloaded, I'll check things out.

thanks!
-mark
MadMrMax

Postby Gero » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:09 pm

ClearContext Support wrote:We've responded to your email. It may be that the offline address book is not downloaded.

Hi ClearContext Support, what does that mean. How does one download the offline address book? Thanks.
Gero

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:31 am

For Outlook configurations where Exchange is the email server, Outlook can maintain an Offline Address Book (OAB), which is a copy of the email addresses in the organization. Usually, this happens by default, but sometimes a manual step is needed to trigger this.

The way to manually sync the OAB, Go to the Send/Receive tab in Outlook, select Send/Receive Groups, then Download Address Book. It may take Outlook a couple of hours to get around to doing so in the background.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support