The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Custom Outlook Forms and ClearContext

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Custom Outlook Forms and ClearContext

Postby leedherman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:38 am

I'm synchronizing my Outlook (Exchange) Tasks with Mac OS X Reminders which does not support Outlook Categories or the ClearContext Project fields. I'd like to make a custom form for Outlook Tasks that will populate the ClearContext Project and context (Category) in the Subject Field. This would end up looking like the synchronized Projects in Categories field but obviously will require some coding to populate those ClearContext fields into the Subject field.

Any examples of such things would be helpful, but what I'm really looking for is the information needed to reference the ClearContext Project and context fields in the necessary script to do this.

Thanks in advance for any help.
leedherman

Re: Custom Outlook Forms and ClearContext

Postby ClearContext Support » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Currently, there is no supported way to directly access the ClearContext Project field in a task. However, you may be able to use the category field to accomplish what you are trying to do.

For Projects, you can rely on ClearContext adding the "[" and "]" brackets around the synced category to determine the Project. For context categories, ClearContext recognizes any category with typical context characters such as "@" or "!" as a context category.
ClearContext Support

Postby leedherman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:08 pm

That doesn't help because even though Categories are supported by Exchange and Reminders connects to Exchange, Reminders doesn't support Categories. That's why I'm looking for the behind the scenes field names to access in VB Script to populate them into the Subject field using a script with a Custom Outlook Form. But to script it, I have to know what to access in the script.
leedherman

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:04 am

Couldn't you examine the category field in your vbscript in your custom form, the same as you were intending in accessing the internal data fields? We haven't heard of anyone trying to do something like this, so we're not sure whether it will be possible. ClearContext does not write any of the Project information until the last moment when a new task is being closed out, so it is not clear whether you will be able to get your script to run after this has happened.
ClearContext Support

Postby leedherman » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 am

Ahh, good point. Thanks! I wasn't thinking about it that way because I can't use those fields in Mac Reminders, but that's no reason not to use them in the script. Since I've never written a VBScript for an Outlook Custom Form before, I don't know if I can get it to run late enough in the process. I'll post back to this thread when I get it figured out (I'm busy so it may be a good while before I get to trying this). Thanks again for the suggestion.
leedherman

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support