The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Sort Order of PSTs and Expansion

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Sort Order of PSTs and Expansion

Postby lancehomer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:28 pm

I have several PSTs with several folders in each PST. When I go to file them, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to the sort order of the PSTs. Shouldn't they at least be alphabetical???

Moreover, they are all expanded by default. I know I can search by name, but when trying to add a new folder, that method doesn't work. Therefore, I need to either scroll through a list of a few hundred folders (in odd PST order) to find the folder I want or I can collapse the PSTs one by one. It is just a pain. It seems they should be collapsed by default and then expand one hierarchy level at a time vs expanding all hierarchical levels at once.

Thanks,
Lance
Attachments
ClearContextFolders.JPG
ClearContextFolders.JPG (19.84 KiB) Viewed 3212 times
lancehomer

Re: Sort Order of PSTs and Expansion

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:45 am

Thanks for the feedback. At some point, I believe Outlook used to display the mail files in that order, and ClearContext is showing them in the order as retrieved from Outlook. More recent versions seem to be alphabetical, it it probably makes sense for ClearContext to show them that way as well. We've had other requests to remember the open/close state of the mail files, and that is likely to show up in a future release.
ClearContext Support

Postby lancehomer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:06 am

Attached is the way folders are sorted in Outlook so I'm not sure what you are talking about Outlook showing them in the order ClearContext shows them. So is there a solution to get ClearContext right now to display things in a more logical order?
Attachments
Outlook View.JPG
Outlook View.JPG (18.44 KiB) Viewed 3163 times
lancehomer

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:42 pm

We were referring to older versions of Outlook, we did acknowledge that newer version of Outlook do show them alphabetically, and that it may make sense for us to follow that convention as well.

ClearContext current shows the mail files in the order that Outlook provides them through the internal API. It is possible that they are in order of when the mail files were added to Outlook, so you might want to try to experiment to detaching and reattaching some of them to see the effect on the order. Beyond that, we don't currently have a workaround to the issue.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support