The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Feature request

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Feature request

Postby JProvencher » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Unless there is a way to do this:

Create tasks in bulk/freeform. It would make it easier to create several tasks (emptying your head) if they could be entered in a window or even from a text file that is created offline. Create one task for each line, then due dates, projects, etc., can be assigned in the ClearContext Organizer. Alternatively, create items in the inbox to be dealt with 'GTD-ishly'.
JProvencher

Re: Feature request

Postby ClearContext Support » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:13 pm

Have you tried adding tasks in the Dashboard located in Outlook sidebar? It is intended as a quick way to enter tasks in and you should be able to add a number of tasks by entering the text and pressing the enter key after each task. You may be prompted for a Project, but can quickly skip it by pressing enter right away.
ClearContext Support

Postby JProvencher » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:58 am

That works the same as entering them in the organizer. The idea is to be able to quickly jot everything down, and deal with assignments later. i.e. The GTD collection process. There is a free product called 'Jello Dashboard' that has the exact function I'm speaking of. Items can be collected en masse, then processed later.

It's just one function that would make ClearContext even more GTD oriented. CC has a TWC centric version, but the creator of that system perhaps pays you to create it where David Allen already has a plug-in available, which I don't believe he even uses himself.
JProvencher

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:36 am

Tasks can be created in the dashboard with just the subject and no other details or assignments - and the cursor does stay in the text field so that you can immediately create another task as soon as you press the enter key for the last task.

Do you feel that this method of entry has more "friction" than a large text field with free form entry as you suggest? It seems like the keystrokes would be comparable, although we could see how the smaller screen area and structured entry might be less conducive to a quick dump of tasks.
ClearContext Support

Postby JProvencher » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Well, yes, they can be created but you are prompted for the project, etc.

I just turned off 'Ask about project if not assigned' on the Tasks/Appts tab of the options and that seems better. Except that if I'm not in the 'collection' mode, and adding tasks to an existing project, it would then be handy to be prompted. (I must sound needy. lol)

I'm still using the trial at work, and CC definitely helps keep my inbox empty and under control. I'm weighing the idea of purchase.
JProvencher

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:45 pm

We welcome the feedback, as we would like to make the product work as well as possible for everyone. I'm not sure if it helps for your usage, but if you open the Detail tab in the Dashboard to a Project and create a task from there, the new tasks will have the Project opened in the Detail tab assigned automatically to them.
ClearContext Support

Postby georgefurnell » Sat May 24, 2014 6:09 am

I know its an old post, but still have to agree with the original author that CC lacks the ability to capture many ideas (brain dump) and get to the tasks later and complete them by adding detail like projects, start date etc. This would increase CC's value.

Regards
George
georgefurnell

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support