The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

ClearContext fails to start

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

ClearContext fails to start

Postby epper1250 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:26 am

Here's my scenario: Open up Outlook 2007, wait a few moments, mail folders display, then an immediate "Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close". Next, after attempting to open Outlook 2007 an additional time I receive the following message, "Outlook experienced a serious problem with the 'clearcontext' add-in. If you have seen this message multiple times, you should disable this add-in and check to see if an update is available. Do you want to disable this add-in?"
If I disable the ClearContext add-in, Outlook launches normally with no issues. Otherwise Outlook won't launch.

Some background: I had Outlook 2003 running on this workstation with ClearContext 4.6.6. I subsequently uninstalled Office 2003 then installed 2007. Immediately on first launch of Outlook 2007 the above scenario began to play out. Also, I have uninstalled Outlook 2007, ClearContext, followed removal instructions at http://www.clearcontext.com/resources/remove_ims.html, rebooted many, many times - all to no avail. Also as a side note, after uninstalling ClearContext the menu for ClearContext remained (just to the right of the 'help' menu). After reseting the toolbars the ClearContext menu disappeared. However, subsequent installations of ClearContext does not bring the menu item back.

Please, any help? I love the product, and hate to quit using it over this!

Thanks in advance -

Mike
epper1250

Re: ClearContext fails to start

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:51 am

Try this:

1. Disable ClearContext
2. Create a new profile in Outlook (step #3 here)
3. Let it rebuild your mail file
4. Re-enable ClearContext

Please let me know if this resolves your issue.
ClearContext Support

Postby epper1250 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:23 pm

Unfortunately, the same issue continues. New profile created, awaited "all folders are up to date" before enabling add-in. Mailbox is approx 290MB.

"Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close."

"Outlook experienced a serious problem with the 'clearcontext' add-in. If you have seen this message multiple times, you should disable this add-in and check to see if an update is available. Do you want to disable this add-in?"

Any and all suggestions welcome!

- Mike
epper1250

Postby Scott - CC Support » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Please give me more information about your environment:

1. What version of Windows are you running?
  2. How do you access your email? Exchange/POP/Other?
  3. Do you have any secondary accounts added? If so, what type?
  4. What other add-ins do you use?
Scott - CC Support

Postby epper1250 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:26 am

Environment:
- Windows XP SP2
- Exchange 03 (Cached Mode)
- No secondary accounts
- No other add-ins (I did have Adobe Professional 9, however removed the Outlook integration piece by modifying within Add/Remove program Adobe Professional)

Other item of interest:
I have a laptop that I also use (workstation by day, laptop by night). Both access the same Exchange account (my personal account), both are Windows XP SP2, both are run in cached mode, both are Outlook 2007, and both have ClearContext 4.6.6. The laptop and desktop previously ran Outlook 2003 both with ClearContext just fine. I upgraded the laptop to 2007 and both still ran ClearContext just fine. Problem began once the desktop was upgraded to Outlook 2007. Currently the desktop cannot run ClearContext, however, the laptop runs it normally.

Thanks again for your assistance!!

- Mike
epper1250

Postby Scott - CC Support » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:18 am

Mike:

I'm at a bit of a loss here. Something is corrupted in your setup but it's not clear what that might be. Uninstall ClearContext using the complete removal tool again. Once complete, go to Add/Remove Programs and hit refresh - is ClearContext still listed?

Assuming not, create a new profile again, let it rebuild your mail file, then reinstall. Problem solved?

Thanks.
Scott - CC Support

Postby epper1250 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:47 am

Scott,

I uninstalled ClearContext using the complete removal tool, then rebooted. Verified ClearContext was fully removed from Add/Remove Programs.

Next, using Add/Remove Programs I removed the entire Office 2007 suite from my workstation - then rebooted. Again, I verified that both Office 2007 and ClearContext were not present via Add/Remove Programs.

Next, I installed Office 2007 then rebooted.

Next, I created my Outlook profile (set to cached mode) and allowed time for a complete synch with the Exchange server. Then, I rebooted again.

Lastly, installed the ClearContext add-in. Following installation, I launched Outlook 2007 and the problem re-appeared.

My question:
Could there be data within the mailbox (or within items) that ClearContext has left behind that needs to be purged? Is there a way to do this safely?

Thanks again,

- Mike
epper1250

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:11 am

Could there be data within the mailbox (or within items) that ClearContext has left behind that needs to be purged? Is there a way to do this safely?

That's highly unlikely given that you are accessing the same mail on both machines. More likely there is an add-in loaded on your machine that is causing the issue. Can you double check again and make sure there is not something listed that you are missing? Details here.

If that doesn't help, try the WipeData utility.

Finally, if all else fails, try creating a new Windows account and see if you can get it to work there.
ClearContext Support

Postby epper1250 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:47 am

Ultimately, I was unable to determine the cause of thhe problem. I like ClearContext enough that I used this problem as justification to just go ahead and upgrade to Windows 7 - a clean OS install. Following the clean install of Windows7 and subsequent installation of Office 2k7, ClearContext runs without a hitch. Which leads me to conclude there was some misconfiguration on my previously Windows XP / Outlook 2k7 workstation.

Thanks again for the help -

- Mike
epper1250

Postby Scott - CC Support » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks for the update.
Scott - CC Support

Postby BrianKniht » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi I'm on Windows 8.1 with Outlook 2013 O365. I'm on my second machine trying to run Clear Context and it doesn't show up in Outlook. It used to on my older machine but now the add-in won't enable. Each time I enable the COM addin and click OK it just stays in the inactive disabled add-ins.

Something suspicious to me is when I select Clear COntext in the add-in section it does not show a DLL location. This is a brand new machine and brand new Office installation. The same thing happened on my older machine. My guess is if there's a problem with Windows 8.1 profile, it's synchronizing to all machines.
BrianKniht

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:03 am

What you're describing sounds like a 32/64 bit mismatch between Outlook and ClearContext. First uninstall ClearContext from the Windows Control Panel. If you previously used the default 32 bit installer for ClearContext, click a download link on our web site but ignore the automatic download and find the link for the 64 bit version on that page. If you previously used the 64 bit installer, try the default 32 bit one.

If a 32/64 bit mismatch does not seem to be the problem, and reason may be that your machine requires ClearContext installed as an admin. To try this, instead of running the installer directly, first right click on the installer file then select "run as administrator"
ClearContext Support

Postby BrianKniht » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:25 am

That was exactly the problem! Thanks. I didn't realize the two flavors.
BrianKniht

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:37 am

Glad to hear the problem is solved! Normally, the installer does detect the 32/64 bit mismatch and will direct you to the right version, but occasionally one needs to manually select the appropriate version.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support