The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Converting From GTDOA

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Converting From GTDOA

Postby SchneeBaer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:53 pm

I've been using GTDOA. Unfortunately, they have pulled the plug and left the users unsupported. I thought ClearContext looked like a pretty good solution, so I installed it.

I'm struggling a little bit with the transition. I was expecting the projects to carry forward. In my views, I have data in a Project field. I have a still active add-in called Taskline that uses this field for task scheduling and prioritization.

Upon closer inspection it appears as if the Project field is a user defined field. So I was hoping that I could move from the GTDOA Project field to the ClearContext Project field - but I am not see ANY user-defined fields for ClearContext, which makes me wonder where the data is stored.

I have over 2000 tasks that are carefully assigned categories, projects and some A1 type priorities. During the install, it looks like projects were created for each of my 191 folders, which is not useful at all. I have approximately 50 actual projects which are loosely sub-categories. For example, I have a category for billable client work, and then I have a project for each of our active client projects.

I've quickly read thru the guide for GTD as well as the User Guide, but I'm not finding much information on the management of projects.

I would very much appreciate any jump-start direction, suggestions and guidance on what I should do next.
SchneeBaer

Re: Converting From GTDOA

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:56 am

Currently, there is no automated way to move over the GTDOA Project classifications into ClearContext. Each product has a different way of storing the data, and a different structure for what it means to be a Project. Given these differences in how information is organized, how one used Outlook with GTDOA will not carry over the same way to how one would use Outlook with ClearContext.

The Contexts (@work,@call, etc), however should carry over automatically. Both GTDOA and ClearContext manage this information through the regular Outlook category field.

In a nutshell, the differences are:

• GTDOA seems to assign Projects as a custom field label for each item. ClearContext tracks Projects internally as its own entity and items can belong to a Project. So there is no custom field in Outlook that determines that an item is part of Project in ClearContext.
  • In ClearContext, Projects and folders are closely associated. ClearContext automatically makes each folder available as a Project and in regular use automatically creates associated Project folders as new Projects are used. Projects can be used without folders however.
  • GTDOA has separate classifications for Projects and Sub-Projects, while ClearContext relies on nested paths (equivalent to the Outlook folder path) to provide sub-Project functionality. So for example in ClearContext, if you can have tasks in "Work/Project1" and "Work/Project2" as separate Projects, you can see a combined view in the Dashboard under Project "Work" by using the "Include SubProjects" option.

With the different ways things can be organized in GTDOA, we're not sure that there is a universal way to translate its use into ClearContext. In general, the way to re-organize the emails and tasks into ClearContext Projects are:

• Use the ClearContext filing buttons to move emails into their like named Project folders. If they are already in their Project folder, you can use the "Assign Project" button in the ClearContext tab to mark the items as part of the Project. This will align the storage of Project emails with how ClearContext works, and future incoming emails will automatically be recognized as belonging to the Project.
  • Use the ClearContext "Project" button to active Tasks and Appointments to make them part of a ClearContext Project. Once these items are assigned a ClearContext Project, they can be managed in the Dashboard and Organizer.
  • For inactive Projects and their items, we would suggest leaving them as they are for reference
ClearContext Support

Re: Converting From GTDOA

Postby SchneeBaer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:34 am

Thanks for your detailed reply!

I did figure out that projects seem to be tied to folders, but I also noticed that when tasks were assigned to a project that the project (or folder hierarchy) is stored in your one custom field: CC-TopicName. I'm trying to work with Taskline to see if we can figure out a way to move/copy the contents of this field to the Project field that GTDOA created. If I can do that, then I think I am close to being back in business.

The only other pain that I will just have to work through, is that GTDOA had a hyperlink on the Outlook toolbar that linked the task back to the original email, all of which were stored in one Inbox folder.
SchneeBaer

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support