The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

"Next action" workaround?

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

"Next action" workaround?

Postby Ngaio » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:18 am

Has anyone come up with a simple workaround to create "Next actions" from tasks? And to have that "next action" show up in the organizer?

The organizer right now is useful to a degree -- but not useful enough. The "category" header can easily be used for context (ie, @home, @phone, etc.) The "project" header is good to keep projects grouped and for purposes of later filing.

But what a number of users here have asked for is a way to create "next actions". So, for example, if I have a task called "Taxes 2010", and the next thing I need to do -- my "next action" -- is "Install tax software on computer" -- how do I do that without creating a new task?

And if there is a workaround for this, is there any way to have this "Next action" appear in the ClearContext organizer? It would be incredibly useful to be able to call up the Organizer and see a list of all the "next actions" I need to do to move forward. And of course, that is basic to any GTD system.

This does seem like a fairly basic function to me, and I see from a search of the forum that it's been asked before. It's not covered in the 18-plus page "getting started with GTD and ClearContext" document, either.

So has anyone come up with a temporary workaround for this?
Ngaio

Re: "Next action" workaround?

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks for the feedback. You can use Priority to indicate the next action required within a given Project and the Today by Priority view to see your next actions at the top of the task list in the Dashboard. Alternatively, assign a unique category (i.e. !Next) and filter your task list by category in the Review tab of the Organizer.
ClearContext Support

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:35 pm

FYI - we have added Next Action support to v5.3. A preview is currently available here.
ClearContext Support

Postby jz608d » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:00 am

Does your development plans include the possibility to create a "Next Task" from one Task and having a view where all related tasks can be viewed as a "conversation" thread? (i.e. like we have today for emails).

Thanks
jz608d

Postby ClearContext Support » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:27 am

That's on our features list for future consideration.
ClearContext Support

Postby Robwendt » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:25 am

This looks like this thread is a bit old, but has there been a method implemented to create a "Next Action" from a task once the task has been completed? I.e., Lets say I am going to put a new widget on my widgetmobile. the first action may be "look up widget store numbers" when I have this list compiled, i would close this list, and the NA would be call Widget stores and get prices"
It would be nice if, when closing out a task, i had the option of creating an next action with wll the pertinent information (project name, descriptions, etc.) as carry overs and then closing the one that was done and openening a pre-populated task for the next aciton in the project stream.

Thanks
Robwendt

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:01 am

Thanks for the feedback. There has not yet been a feature added to implement the automatic next action creation.
ClearContext Support

Postby Gnopps » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:17 am

This is one of the things I miss the most with CC: automatic next action promotion. So that when task A is completed, Task B would be marked as next automatically.
Gnopps

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support