The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

CC is difficult/unusuable when using High Contrast theme

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

CC is difficult/unusuable when using High Contrast theme

Postby NeilS » Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 pm

I use the High Contrast Black Windows theme on my desktop as it is easier on my eyes. Unfortunately, some aspects of Clear Context are unusable with this theme. For example, the Dashboard looks like:
screenshot.10.jpg
Dashboard in High Contrast Black theme
screenshot.10.jpg (58.28 KiB) Viewed 8738 times

That is clearly useless. Other parts of CC are usable, but are displayed with reduced contrast rather than increased:
screenshot.9.jpg
Project selector in High Contrast Black theme
screenshot.9.jpg (114.1 KiB) Viewed 8738 times

Is there a setting in CC that I can hit to make it more usable in High Contrast mode? I would be happy to have it no better than CC in the default theme.

Thanks - Neil
NeilS

Re: CC is difficult/unusuable when using High Contrast theme

Postby ClearContext Support » Fri May 13, 2016 4:32 pm

ClearContext currently only supports the themes defined within Outlook itself. If you go to the Outlook->Options screen, and set the Outlook theme to something like "dark", it may work a bit better with the Windows high contrast theme. Once you switch the theme, restart Outlook to have the change take effect in ClearContext.
ClearContext Support

Postby NeilS » Sun May 15, 2016 4:02 pm

You do not seem to understand. Outlook themes are to mildly change the colors of Outlook. People use that for personal preferences. I'm talking about a Windows accessibility theme (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/make-the-computer-easier-to-see-optimize-visual-display) that is used to improve usability for people with visual difficulties.

It seems to me that, besides not supporting a high-contrast theme, CC actually becomes unusable with a high contrast theme. At a minimum, I would expect CC to be no worse with a high-contrast theme.
NeilS

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon May 16, 2016 7:16 am

We do understand that the contrast in the product is poor when Windows is set to the high contrast theme. We apologize that there isn't currently a solution to that issue - we will have to look into it for a future release. In the interim, we are suggesting trying a darker Outlook theme as ClearContext will still change its colors in response to that Outlook setting even in the high visibility mode, and it may look a little better.
ClearContext Support

Postby NeilS » Tue May 17, 2016 9:23 am

ClearContext will still change its colors in response to that Outlook setting

At least on my two installations, that statement is incorrect. As far as I can tell, the Outlook themes have no effect when High Contrast mode is being used. Are you seeing something different on your computer? Please let me know.
NeilS

Postby ClearContext Support » Tue May 17, 2016 12:50 pm

When in high visibility mode, Outlook ignores its theme settings. However, ClearContext will still read the theme setting and adjust its appearance to match the theme. Note that a restart of Outlook is needed for ClearContext to refresh its appearance. This is not a solution to the problem, but making the ClearContext utilize a darker theme works slightly better.
ClearContext Support

Postby NeilS » Wed May 18, 2016 11:57 am

Maybe it does make things slightly better, I'm not really sure. But it still leaves much information unreadable. For example, some items in the organizer are only visible if I highlight them:
screenshot.11.jpg
Only highlighted item visible
screenshot.11.jpg (22.92 KiB) Viewed 8674 times

Can you tell me if there is a schedule to address this? I have been using CC for a decade and really don't want to lose it.
NeilS

Postby ClearContext Support » Wed May 18, 2016 3:32 pm

We are currently working on the next major version of the product, and any fix for this would be part of that release. We don't have any time frames to announce yet, but can say that it is at least a few months away.
ClearContext Support

Postby NeilS » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Just wanted to close the loop on this. Thanks for explaining the situation. Understanding that it is an unsupported feature made things easier for me. I've decided that, while I wish that high contrast mode was supported, CC is still a cool tool and worth using.

Thanks again,

Neil
NeilS

Postby ClearContext Support » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:56 pm

Thanks for your patience, we do hope to address this in the next release.
ClearContext Support

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support