The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Toolbars in open emails not working / topic assignment

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Toolbars in open emails not working / topic assignment

Postby Martie » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:14 am

Hi, two problems:

1) When I open an email from the Inbox, quite often I am unable to use the Task, Delegate, Schedule etc. buttons. They are not greyed out, but simply do nothing when I click on them. This does not happen consistently but often. When I close the message and use the ClearContext toolbar in Outlook, the buttons work.

2) Most of the emails that arrive in my Inbox already have a topic assigned through AutoAssign. When I read an email and wish to keep it, I assign a different topic so that the emails are filed. The problem is, I type or choose a topic, but when I click FileMsg the message is filed in its old topic folder. The correct topic shows in the top bar, but when I hold the cursor over it, the tooltip displays the old topic. Usually if I close the message and assign the topic from the ClearContext toolbar, there's no problem.

For both problems, some of the messages had been filed to the topic folder first, then later dragged back to the Inbox. Maybe this is the problem?

Working with ClearContext v3, WindowsXP, Outlook2003 (not Exchange)

Martie
Martie

Postby brad » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:53 am

1) Try this from our FAQ. What version of ClearContext are you running?

2) It sounds like you are assigning the new Topic by typing it into the Topic Field. You must press ENTER to commit a typed Topic to the message. This is a limitation of the Outlook interface. If you don't hit ENTER the Topic change won't be committed and the File button will move the message to the old Topic folder.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby Martie » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:21 am

Brad, thank you for your answer. I have in fact been pressing Enter, and still get the problem intermittently. However, I monitored this over the last few hours and it seems to happen mainly with email that has been filed to topic and moved back to the Inbox. I'm using v.3.0.5. I don't have Exchange, and I'm running MAPILab's Duplicate Email Remover and Duplicates Remover.
Martie
Martie

Postby brad » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:46 am

Did you try adjusting the scoring slider as described in Step 1) above? If not, try that out for a couple of days and see if it helps. If the problem persists, go to ClearContext > About, press Email Support, and send me the detail in that email. Please make sure to reference this forum thread when you send it in.

Thanks.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby Martie » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:00 pm

Brad, when I try to send you an email via CC>About>Email Support, Outlook freezes for some reason. I did adjust the slider, but that didn't fix the problem. I have to close the email and assign a topic from the CC toolbar. New email coming in straight to the Inbox are fine, the problem occurs only with messages that have been filed then moved back to the Inbox. This is not a serious issue, though, a mild annoyance at best.
Martie
Martie

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support