The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

File outgoing email in both CC folders and in Sent Folder

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

File outgoing email in both CC folders and in Sent Folder

Postby Brandon Martin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:10 pm

CC Support Team:

In order to comply with firm requirements, and because it's useful, I need to have a folder that contains all the emails that I've sent from my corporate exchange account.

Currently, CC moves an email from the Sent Folder to the particular project folder the email thread is associated with. I organize my CC folders by case / GTD project. This works most of the time, but some of the time, I just need to know what I emailed a client last Tuesday *without* remembering what case or project the communication was associated with. Imagine a situation where you need to account for your time and actions on a given day, but can't remember every project you worked on that day... so you want to look in the "Sent Folder" for that date.

I'm running IMS Pro 3.1. Looking forward to the ability to archive project/topics for easier GTD implementation in IMS Pro 3.2.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

-- B.
Brandon Martin

Postby brad » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:05 pm

Brandon -

Thanks for trying out the product. Currently we do not support filing to both the Topic folder and the Sent Messages folder. This has been requested previously and is on our features list for future consideration. Filing to Topic folders is optional - you can turn this feature off if you want via ClearContext > Options > Preferences > Topic Options.

Alternatively, it may be possible to build a Search folder in using native Outlook 2003 and later functionality that shows only Sent messages, regardless of where they are located.

I hope this helps. Enjoy the product.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby Brandon Martin » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:41 am

Brad,

You'd be surprised at how much the ability to leave the message in the Sent directory would help within legal and professional work environments.

Nevertheless, I'm going to keep on using CC. Does anyone have a step-by-step explanation of how to make the search folder to collect all sent items regardless of what folder they are found in (as described in Brad's email)? It's not important for our business practices, but I can see where it would be useful to build a similar search folder that captures all emails into your email box regardless of where they have been filed or deferred.

I bought a license for IMS Pro about six months ago after I read a rumour that there would be an imminent release enhancing its usefulness for GTD. I'm not sure if that's the 3.2 release or the 4.0 one, but it doesn't really matter as I'm really just now discovering how useful a tool IMS can be to organize your email -- a benefit beyond GTD.

-- B.
Brandon Martin

Postby brad » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:33 am

Brandon:

Just in case I wasn't clear, you can turn off Sent Message filing and leave all of your Sent messages in the Sent folder, you just lose the advantages of having your sent messages in the same folder as your filed messages.

Tutorials for creating search folders can be found here.

Thanks for the feedback!
Brad Meador
brad

Postby alexa » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 am

@Brandon: I've got this set up so that a copy of the sent email gets copied to my CYA folder and one to the CC topic folder.

in Outlook 2007 -> Tools -> Rules and Alerts

i have the rule:
Apply this rule after I send the message
on this machine only
move a copy to the CYA 2007 folder

where CYA 2007 is a PST that ends up containing all my sent items.
alexa

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support