The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Topics in Toolbar drop-down do not match Navigation Pane

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Topics in Toolbar drop-down do not match Navigation Pane

Postby blc0002 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:55 am

Seemingly randomly, many of my messages are assigned to incorrect topics and/or the topic listed in the navigation pane does not match the topic listed in the CC toolbar dropdown (see attached image). Sometimes the topic is blank in one field and non-blank in the other. It's unpredictable exactly where the messages will end up when filed in such a state. Help?

- What version of Microsoft Windows are you running? XP SP2
- What version of Microsoft Outlook are you running? (If OL2K, are you in Corporate Mode or Internet Only?) 2003 SP2
- What type of mail account(s) are you accessing (i.e. POP, IMAP, Exchange, HTTP, etc.)? Exchange
- What, if any, additional Outlook Add-in's or Rules are installed? ClearContext, Lookout, some basic rules to sort junk email and other email accounts to different folders
- How do you reproduce the error? Not a reliable way to reproduce, but it seems to happen on a majority of emails
- What is the severity of the problem? (Fatal - unusable, Serious - workaround avail., Minor - superficial annoyance) Serious - I can manually fix the Topics as I see they are incorrect, but sometimes forget they could be wrong, so they get filed incorrectly

blc0002

Postby brad » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:15 pm

Do you have ClearContext running on more than one machine simultaneously? Is there another device or process that is accessing your mail account at the same time as Outlook?

The issue appears to be the result of message conflicts. This occurs when two processes try to change an Exchange message at the same time in two different places. In particular, if you have Outlook open in two different places, both running ClearContext at the same time, you will see this problem. The workaround is to close down one machine before opening outlook on another.

If it's due to another device such as a PDA accessing your mail file, you may be able to mitigate the issue by adjusting your processing delay. See our FAQ for more detail.
Brad Meador
brad

Yes, ClearContext is running in two places

Postby blc0002 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:59 am

Ahh! Hopefully that explains it. I just received a new PC and have Outlook running on both temporarily while I get all my data moved to the new PC. I'll shut down the second instance of Outlook, and hopefully that solves the problem.
blc0002

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support