The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Converting TWC categories to Topics

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Converting TWC categories to Topics

Postby younglm » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:44 pm

Michael Linenburger told me about this software and I have installed the TWC enabled version. I am impressed enough that I am wanting to try out the Topics method and using multiple folders. I really liked using categories but didn't like the multiple steps involved in assigning them to email I was sending.

My problem: I have a large number (over 4500) of emails categorized and filed in the 'processed mail' folder as done in the TWC system. I tried selecting all the emails for a category and then assigning a topic but this did not work. Is there any way to do this without creating ~50 folders and then moving over the emails?

Outlook 2003
Win XP Pro
Exchange account

Thanks,
Lane
younglm

Postby brad » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:34 pm

Lane:

The issue here is that the messages in your processed mail folder were received prior to IMS install and have not been processed by ClearContext. When a message is received, IMS adds field to it to allow IMS to work it's magic - a thread id, score, etc.. None of these messages have that information, so IMS can't assign Topics to them.

The only way to force scoring of messages is to pass them through the Inbox. So, to do what you ask you would need to drag all of these messages into the Inbox, give them an opportunity to become scored, and then use the method you describe below to assign Topics and File by Topic.

Thanks for checking out the product and please let me know if I can provide additional information.
Brad Meador
brad

Thank you!

Postby younglm » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:27 am

I will give that a try.
younglm

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support