The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Outlook 2003 not responding during startup

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Outlook 2003 not responding during startup

Postby jmuller » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:23 pm

Hi,

I'm currently running Outlook 2003 in cached mode as I travel most of the time. Hoever, since installing Clearcontext, Outlook 2003 freezes most of the time at startup. I have to kill the application and start it up again - sometimes up to 3 times - before Outlook starts to respond. I'm running Windows XP as my OS and downloaded CC from you website about a week ago - so it should be the latest version. I use Outlook for my corporate mail (Exchange) and it connects by means of RPC over HTTP. I'm also running Plaxo.

Please assist as I'm planning to buy the licence, but need to have this resolved first.

Thanks,
Jaco
jmuller

Postby brad » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:47 am

Jaco:

This sounds like the result of an Outlook connection problem. In the near term, two one of these two workarounds:

1. Instead of killing the application, right click the Outlook icon in the system tray (lower right hand corner) and select Cancel Server Request. Do this a few times until control is given back to Outlook.

2. Go to Tools > Email Accounts and open your Exchange Account. Click Advanced Settings and change Outlook to query for connection state when starting. Startup in offline mode, wait for Outlook to completely start, then switch to online mode.

We are looking into ways to counteract Outlook connection problems from within the application.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby jmuller » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:20 am

Thanks Brad,

I'll try it and let you know.

Regards,
Jaco
jmuller

Postby brad » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:17 pm

FYI - we have tweaked the way that IMS starts up in IMS V4. If you are still experiencing this problem, try downloading your Address book (via Tools > Send/Receive) and upgrading to IMS v4. Thanks.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby jmuller » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:38 am

Just some feedback on this problem. Since I upgraded to Outlook 2007 AND installed IMS v4, I haven't experienced any further issues.
jmuller

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support