The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

ClearContext on Exchange Server...

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

ClearContext on Exchange Server...

Postby rtheil » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:22 pm

Dear Sir, Madam,

I run a small company and we have an Exchange Server running on our own Server. I use my laptop in the office as my main computer/desktop in a docking station. I also work a lot from home with my Dell Desktop and use HTTP to connect to my Exchange.

Question is now... Do I need to install ClearContext to my Laptop AND my Desktop or do I need to install it only once on one machine.
I don't want to run into any kind of duplication issues because from the past this has happened with a lot of newly implemented features / applications and getting this undone as you probably know takes a lot of (useless) time.

You mentioned in a very old threat in this Forum (I think it was from 2005) the "Slave Mode" but I am not sure if that is a still valid because we are 2 years away from that thread and you have a new release now.

Please advice what is the best way forward installing / implementing ClearContext with Exchange given the above AND the fact that I am using Outlook Webmail a lot as well AND the fact that I am running Blackberry Server as well. The Blackberry Server I am running ONLY for me, so only 1 user.

I am running Office 2007 on all my machines. The machines are running XP Professional Service Pack 2.
Exchange Server is SMALL BUSINESS SERVER ADVANCED.

Thanks and kind regards,
René Theil.
rtheil

Postby brad » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:45 pm

Rene:

We do not currently have a server version of the product. You will need to install IMS on both your desktop and your laptop. However, it is not advised that you run both at the same time. Ensure that you close down Outlook on one machine before moving to another.

Thanks for trying out the product. Please let me know if I can provide additional detail.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby rtheil » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:08 am

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the swift reply!

Ok, that is clear and most of the time it is only the one or the other that I am using.
Quick question in relation to the Web Version of Outlook when I am out and on the go and use this. Will the structure of ClearContext be there as well? E.g. the folders etc.?

You mentioned in that blog entry in 2005 that you are working on an Exchange Version of your application. Is this still in the Pipeline? (Just out of curiosity)

Cheers,
René Theil
rtheil

Postby brad » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:55 am

There isn't a web client for IMS, so you won't have access to IMS functions (file, task, defer, etc.) when using OWA. But you will still be able to find all of the IMS folders, which reside as sub-folders of the Inbox by default.

We still plan to build an Exchange version of the product, but I don't have a timeline for implementation right now.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby deva » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:44 pm

rt,

Adding to Brad's comment, a key design consideration in our code (data structures, etc.) is to also work in an Exchange server version of our application. However, there are a number of additional features in terms of data ownership, management, and security that need to be implemented to see real value in a server-based version of what we offer. Providing IMS functionality on a group level in addition to per individual is something we're very focused on, and we'll be talking more about that as we discuss more details of our upcoming releases.
deva

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support