The forums are being retired in favor of a new help portal with improved knowlege base and direct access to support. - Please visit our new help portal for information and support.

Problem with using File Thread with Outlook Search Folders

Have a support question regarding ClearContext for Microsoft Outlook? Find help here. Be sure to include what version of Outlook and Windows you are using.

Moderator: ClearContext Support

Problem with using File Thread with Outlook Search Folders

Postby pkatzer » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:34 pm

WinXP | Outlook 2003 | Corporate Environment

My default inbox view uses Outlook Search Folders to display messages in multiple folders (e.g., @Action, @Waiting For, @Tickler, etc) in addition to the Inbox. Although I've never been able to use the CC inbox views while using this Search Folder display, that hasn't been a problem since I mainly use CC for message filing. However, since upgrading to v4.0.2, the File Thread function no longer works (which it did in v3).

I'd really like to see this functionality restored in the next update as it was an essential function for me.
pkatzer

Postby brad » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:43 pm

pkatzer:

I just ran a test in our labs and this function appears to work the same as it did in v3. I can think of a few reasons that you might see the behavior you describe:

1. Where are the messages in the thread located? If scattered across multiple folders, I expect file thread to only file messages for the folder that the message in focus resides in. So, if one message is in the Inbox and the other messages are in alternate folders. Clicking File Thread while you have focus on the Inbox message will only file the one message.

2. Are you certain that all messages in the thread are scored? If you encounter messages that have not been processed by IMS, either due to a message conflict or messages entering folders via another route (i.e. mailto: links or PDA's), IMS is unable to act on the message. The next time you encounter this issue, go to the source folder with the message that is not being moved and see if it is color-coded and/or if you can assign a Topic to it.

Please let me know if either of these sound like the source of your issue.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby pkatzer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi Brad,

The messages are all in the Inbox (but viewed through a Search Folder). When viewed in the Inbox directly they are scored and the File Thread functions correctly. There has been no change to my set-up since I upgraded from v3. If it would be helpful for me to reply offline with screenshots of the set-up, please let me know.

Paul
pkatzer

Postby brad » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:22 pm

Yes, that would be helpful. please go to ClearContext > About, press Email Support and attach screen prints to that email depicting the problem.

Also, the RelatedView shows the messages IMS thinks are linked. Use it to verify that the messages you expect to be filed are linked together.

Thanks.
Brad Meador
brad

Postby brad » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:55 pm

FYI - after further testing this appears to be an issue that affects Outlook 2003 search folders, but not Outlook 2007. We have added the issue to our list to fix in a future build.
Brad Meador
brad

Return to ClearContext Professional Features & Support